Keeley BD2 and/or Keeley DS1?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Slideman, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Slideman

Slideman Member

Anyone have both of these pedals (or their similar modified counterparts) in use on the same board and for what purpose?

I currently have both, but maybe it's just me or my ears are going...but I think that the DS-1 on very mild distortion settings can get close in copping some of the tones of the BD-2...or alternatively, with the BD-2 gain set really high get a great crunch similar to the DS-1...some now with pedalboard space at a premium, I'm wondering if there is a place for both or should I just pick one?

Suggestions welcome

2. Rockprocess

Rockprocess Supporting Member

The Keeley BD2 is my main OD. I even like it better than the zendrive I had briefly! Both the BD2 and DS1 sound good but I noticed the DS1 has a definate bass boost that I could not dial out. The difference in the bass between the pedal and the bypass tone was too great for me. All in all though, they both sound fantastic.

3. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

the keeley ds-1 is a definite improvement over stock, but I still hated it, the bd-2 and katana sound great

4. Slideman

Slideman Member

Do you think this may be a better match for single coils given the bottom end boost?

5. MojoFilter

MojoFilter Member

I own both, and used both at the same time on my board. For this particular gig and setup, I only use single coils - usually a Strat loaded with Bill Lawrence L-200's.

The BD-2 is used for my lower gain, "edge of breakup sounds". It's still on my board, and it's one of my favorites.

The Ultra-modded DS-1 was infinitely better than the stock DS-1, and I
    used it for lead work. It did a good job, but I took it off my board after I a/b'd it with a Fulltone OCD. They were similar pedals in many respects, but the OCD just sounded more natural to my ears.

I'd be comfortable throwing it back on if my OCD stopped working, but chances are good that I'd run out and get another OCD.

6. Rockprocess

Rockprocess Supporting Member

I liked the BD-2 better because you can control the bottom end with the switch provided in the mod. You can't "turn off" the low end on the DS-1 mod.