Keeley BD2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dickie Fredericks, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Anyone using it? I managed to pick up a BD2 in trade and thought about the mod even though the thing is usable on its own through my clean channel.

Thoughts?

Richard

2. madsr

madsr Member

I have the keeley modded bd2... love it... smooth drive... phat switch adds a touch of low end.. gain is useable anywhere..doesn't get muddy..

3. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

love the KBD-2... it's my main OD/distortion for thick rhythm or singing leads...very amplike...lots of good gain to use...

if you like the bd-2, then you'll LOVE the KBD-2

if you don't like the bd-2 for what it does, then you're screwed...hehe

4. woude

woude Member

+1 on all comments above. Really nice pedal that gives a 'marshall' edge to your sound, the keeley mod makes it more balanced in the low frequencies. Highly recommended!

5. Gearhunter

Gearhunter Member

I love my KBD-2 I bought off of TGP'er rh. Sold off my TS-9 and MIJ SD-1 after I got it. Great range of overdrive tones,and when pushed by a COT50 makes some tasty lead tones. [​IMG]

6. Python

Python Member

I have the Keeley moded version of the BD-2 and as it stands now, if I had to pick only one pedal from my pedaboard, it would be the DB-2.

I'm not getting rid of the others, though :JAM

7. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

It has got a little too much of that metallic "clang" going on. But it is still the best od i have.

8. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Seems like the mods a good thing !
    :dude

Ive been working with it for a few hours now and Im diggin it unmodded. Im going to be using it through the Marshalls clean channel for country stuff. I read on Keeleys site that Brad Paisley is using one.

Im basically looking to add a less gain distortion to the setup for the country stuff and Ill use the Marshalls 2nd channel for the classic rock stuff and more singing solos.

Although I notice this thing sings pretty good through the clean channel.

If nothing else I guess Mr Keeleys mod quiets it up a bit and if it smooths it out as well then Im for it.
    Thanks for the replies...

Richard

9. rkymtnhi

rkymtnhi Member

I run my KBD-2 (bought on this forum) with the gain at 1/2 way up and the tone set 1/2 way to 3/4 way up. It goes into either a '65 DRRI running EL84s or an Orange AD30HTC. It's my favorite dirt pedal--mostly clean with just a hint of grit around the edges. It cleans up really well and responds to the dynamics of my playing. I'll kick it on if I want to pick through open chords or play U2'ish delay stuff. I can't say enough good things about this pedal--no noise and sounds fanstastic.

10. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

That's what i do!:dude:BEER

although, i think i might replace the Cot50B with a timmy i just got...

we'll see:YinYang

-j

11. erksin

erksin Member

Actually, it might be the KBD-2 that goes - I replaced mine with a Timmy and never looked back. Cool pedal for sure though - the Timmy just sounded better with my rig...

12. Gearhunter

Gearhunter Member

Yea,the Timmy might sound pretty good pushed by the COT50.
    I'm quite happy with the KBD-2 though,so hopefully no overdrive GAS will erupt for awhile.

13. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

My Marshall is running El84's with the Yellow Jackets installed. I too am running the gain at 1/2 way and the tone 1/3 to 1/2 way. I agree it responds to your playing and it seems add just the right grit to clean stuff. Kinda Fendery. I can hear why folks are using it as it does have a braod range of gain. Losts of color variations there.

Keeleys site says its the "Cranked Fender Super Sound" which is what Im going for here so Im gonna have to send it off with a quickness. Usually I dont use OD's or Distortion boxes as the Marshall has plenty O gain in the lead channel. I use a volume pedal for leads.

Yeah I think this box with the mod will be just what Im needing as Im already able to use it for what I need.

Thanks again for the replies...

14. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Yo Gearhunter. I see your in O Town. I lived there for 10 years. Worked the scene like a madman and made quite a nice living there doing music full time. Hope you're as lucky as I was...

Cheers

Richard

15. Gearhunter

Gearhunter Member

Yea,it's still a busy ass town with plenty of places to play out,but sadly,I've been out of the loop for the last 5 years or so. Better paying day job sucked me away,and now it's tough getting back going. :Spank

The bright side is that I can afford better pedals and crap. ;)

James

16. randy morser

randy morser Member

Navy guitar player here. A KBD-2 is in the Navy's near future. They buy good gear if you ask them the right way.

17. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

maybe, but i play some alt rock worship gigs, so i need a pretty full and heavy alt rock distotion, think foo fighhters/switchfoot, so i bet i'll need to keep the kbd-2....but we'll see...

-j

18. jpagey

jpagey Member

Probably Robert's best Mod. I have one further modded with his Fuzz Freak mod. way cool.

19. erksin

erksin Member

The KBD-2 isn't a heavy sounding pedal IMO - in fact when you crank up the gain it gets pretty fizzy. I guess if you're hitting a midrangey amp with it, it might fill it out some.