Keeley Blues Driver 2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cander328, Mar 5, 2006.

1. cander328

cander328 Member

I am suprised that this pedal is not discussed much here. I have been building an analog pedal board for a few months now and have accumulated quite a collection of ODs and this is one of my favorites so far! It seems to overdrive my tube amp (Mesa Lonestar Special) without changing the way my guitars react to my playing. What I am also impressed with is that it seems to not get in the way of the tonal characteristics of my guitars in the process of overdriving my amp. My main axe is an EJ Strat, although I also play Les Pauls, an ES-335 TD and an ES-175-D. I am still waiting on my Tim and Timmy to add to my collection but so far I am comparing the Keeley BD-2 to a Keeley Sparkle Drive, Keeley Baked Mod TS-9, and an Xotic AC Booster. Surely I have others to try out but this one is a keeper!

Current Big Board:
    RMC Picture Wah (with FoxRox Mod)->Keeley Compressor->Chicago Iron Octavian Plus (with Fuzz separately switchable)->Mojo Vibe->Xotic AC Booster (setup as clean boost)->Keeley BD2 (setup as mid boost)->Keeley Ultra Mod DS1->Analog Man Chorus (with Deep switch)->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal (with TU-2 on isolated output)-> Keeley AD9-> Mesa Lonestar Special

2. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

I use one for my main tone along with the Keeley Comp..it is a very versatile effect..the tone control really works.

3. westerhever

westerhever Member

i've been using a bd-2 in front of my vox ac-30 for almost 10years.tried a lot of expensive "boutique" pedals (fulldrive,ocd,xotic etc.)but this cheap little pedal is the winner up to now and it seems to work great with any guitar,cleans up perfectly with the guitar volume control and doesn't cut the bass too much.as you said i find it doesn't get in the way of the original guitar tone.anyway i'd like to know how it compares to a tim/timmy...

4. erksin

erksin Member

I replaced a Keeley BD-2 with a Timmy last year, haven't regretted it at all. I didn't care for the fizzy high end at higher gain settings that the KBD-2 had, and the Phat mode sounded a little boomy and fake to me. The Timmy is similar in the 'transparency' but the EQ is light years better IMO.

5. westerhever

westerhever Member

ah yes,and i got two of them for different gain settings.one stock and one keeley modded.

6. westerhever

westerhever Member

erksin,that sounds interesting.how much is a timmy?i guess they are hard to get in europe...

7. erksin

erksin Member

$99 + shipping - not difficult to get, unless you considering having to order direct from Paul and a 2-3 month waiting period difficult. He ships overseas too. If you do a search, you should be able to find out everything you need to know about the Timmy and how to order one.

Great, great pedal...

8. westerhever

westerhever Member

9. gulliver

gulliver Member

I just modded my BD-2 to the Keeley standard mod plus switchable Phat mod. I just want to check in to make sure my mod is okay, I noticed there is very little change in tone and gain with this mod as compared to any other pedal I've played through, even with the distortion all the way up. I know it supposed to be transparent, and this is my first pedal of that type, but am I missing something? Am I supposed to use this pedal as a boost as well, versus keeping the output level at about the same level as when it's off?

Thanks.

10. Python

Python Member

I use it mostly as a boost for my Suhr using very little gain (gain at about 10:00). I have the level set at about 9:30 and this adds just a little volume when I turn it on. This mod fattens up my sound in a very sweet way. At low gain, it's a subtle but noticeable difference.

The Phat switch adds just a little bass to the lower strings.

11. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

I'm thinkin' you maybe should check it because this pedal has buttloads of output.

12. jpagey

jpagey Member

The Keeley BD-2 Phat and Fuzz Head are SERIOUSLY underrated pedals.

13. gulliver

gulliver Member

Yes, the output on mine is insane. I'm talking about the distortion when I wrote gain, which is my bad.

From what python is saying, it sounds like my build is fine. I was using it like a regular distortion pedal, and with no output boost. I guess I was surprised as I expected a lot more distortion, at least as much as a TS-9. But, as Keeley says on his website, it's transparent, and not like a TS-9.

Thanks.

14. James Knox

James Knox Member

Count me in here - the Keeley Modded BD2 is THE BEST bang for the buck OD pedal out there IMHO. It just works FOR ME, with my guitars, with my amps, with my playing style. Right now I set my base crunch rhythm tone with the BD2, I compress it when needed with a Keeley compressor AFTER the BD2, I SWEETEN it up when needed with a BJF Honey Bee BEFORE the BD2 (it adds more "feel" to the tone), and I BOOST for FAT lead tone with a Klon BEFORE the Honey Bee. With the STACKED pedals (Klon, Honey Bee and BD2) I have any combo of drive choices I could ever need.

Other pedals I have tried in that position before I made the decision to keep the BD2 and sell the others through: Lovepedal Eternity, Landgraff DO, Zen Drive, Custom Shop Full Drive 2, Barber LTD and DD. I am keeping (so far) the FD2 (cuz it's a Ferrari Yellow) and the Landgraff DO for occasional "single pedal" usage when I don't have access to or want to pull out the Pedal Board. I AM experimenting with a Keeley Workstation for single pedal usage that might eliminate the need for any other "back up" pedals. The Keeley Workstation is a 3-in-1 pedal about the size of a DLS Echotap that has Keeleys version of a TS9, a Compressor and a BD2 all in one enclosure.

I reccomend to every guitarist who ask me about using pedals for their tone to START with Keeley modded BD2 and go from there - see where the journey leads you - that is the FUN of it all!

Viva Robert Keeley and the BD2.

15. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I've found the Keeley BD-2 to excel at Fuzzface type tones when cranked with the phat switch on.

Thick, liquid tone.

AND it works as a nice little bump for roots-ish soloing at lower settings.

Not true bypass though and I do hear some tone attenuation in the high end when it's not engaged. I ended up getting a loooper for it.

16. sl1960a

sl1960a Supporting Member

Does anybody have the complete instructions for the full BD-2 Keeley standard mod w/Phat switch mod? I have accumulated bits and pieces of the mod, but I'm missing some of the values. I want to mod my BD-2 (been sitting in the box for several years), but I don't want to jump in until I have all the info? Please let me know.

Also has anybody done the Monte Allum H2O mod? The clips sound great.

Thanks - Mark

17. gulliver

gulliver Member

I have it at home and will get it to you tonight, e-mail me if I forget.

18. Danny G

Danny G Guest

I did the Keeley mods (and a few others) to my Blues Driver and am very pleased.

I've built several other OD pedals, the the BD-2 just blows them all away. My TS-808 clone comes close, but I like the BD-2 better. As a clean boost and as a stand-alone dirt pedal.

:BEER

19. gulliver

gulliver Member

When you say stand alone dirt pedal, I'm still looking for clearity on the amount of distortion on tap with this mod. When I have the distortion all the way up, I do get a sweeter phatter tone, but can someone confirm that the maximum distortion is quite low for a "dirt box".

Also, it seems to offer less distorion after the mod than stock, is that the case?

20. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Mine is stock right now and it has plenty o gain. Playing it through the clean channel of the Marshall it sounds like the dirty Marshall channel when you turn the gain up. FWIW I use it with the gain at sat 10:00 and I set the level to match my clean channels volume. Im using it to add some girth to the clean sound for country stuff. I use the Marshalls dirt channel for distortion stuff.

I will be sending this to Robert in due time. Very soon in fact. If its good enough for Brad Paisley its good for me too. I really like mine alot. I think Robert nailed it when he said it gives you "The Cranked Super Reverb Sound"

I dont think the thing was made to be a Metal Zone type of pedal. It does say Blues Driver on it and to me that implies less gain.

Having said that, I find the thing has plenty of gain. What type amp are you using again?

Dickie