keeley Blues Driver and Timmy = Different Enough?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by K.E.P., Sep 1, 2008.

1. K.E.P.

K.E.P. Supporting Member

I am just trying to make the decision on whether or not I should add a keeley bd phat mod to my board. I have a bad monkey, timmy and a crunch box.

I have have heard all pedals separate and really like the BD, but have never had both side by side to compare. I guess the main question would be......In your opinion, is the keeley Blues driver and the timmy different enough to have on the same board? I mainly use my timmy as my mid-od cruch.

KP

2. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

Hmmm ... good one ... I ALMOST ... ALMOST sold my BD-2 due to the exact same issue, but it'S still rockin my board, love what it does although I beleive it would '' kinda '' overlap the Timmy

3. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I've had and sold both....... They were not all that similar IMHO.....

4. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

both are on my board. sometimes i don't know why. then there are the times i get into fuzz territory with that blues driver . . . .

if you already have a timmy, i can't say it will be helpful or very different to add the bdphat for low or medium gain stuff. the timmy is still my favorite thing in the world for that. . . .

5. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I've had and sold a Keeley BD2 twice. Both times it was because I preferred my Tim or Timmy for the same use. They are not exactly alike, but they do fill a particular style/level of overdrive the way I used them, and the Tim/Timmy won out both times.

6. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Gotta agree, they overlap on a certain style but I sold the Timmy! Kept the BD. i found the BD to be smoother which I needed at the time. The Timmy is a killer pedal tho.

7. sandman

sandman Member

right man for the right question...

K.E.P. check out this guy's previous posts for even more BD2/Timmy impressions...

8. K.E.P.

K.E.P. Supporting Member

Great responses. So I guess my next idea would be be to look at a TS9 for a different flavor and replace the bad monkey with the TS9 for low-od stuff.

Any other suggestions are welcome, but I love the timmy and the crunch box. Thanks again for all the responses so far.

KP

9. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I bought and sold a Timmy and Keeley BD2 in the last few months. I was looking for something to replace my Barber LTD black as my light rhythm OD into a clean Hiwatt. Neither one did it. The Timmy sounded great when playing by myself, but disappeared with the band, and I was never able to EQ it into a clean amp to the point where I liked the sound and have it punch through. If the preamp gain was up, it worked well, but not better than the LTD. The BD 2 worked well, and sounded great, but I preferred the LTD overall, mainly because the BD2 was buffered, and it messed with a few of the pedals after it...... Just another option.....