Keeley Boost?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DustyBaker, Dec 27, 2009.

1. DustyBaker

DustyBaker Member

I just got my Marshall 2061x half stack and... since it doesnt have the extra gain stage that the 100 Watt-ers have. I really dont want *more* gain just more SuS and posibly more vol. From what ive read and seen on Youtube i really like the Katana. Do you guys have any feedback on yours?

2. kennethkofler

kennethkofler Member

I absolutely love mine. When I first got it out of the box I was at the parent's housesitting so I only had my GA-5 to try it with. I was pretty happy with the added sparkle and the very clean nature of the boost. Didn't really mess with the "out" or drive setting much since it's just a little 5watt amp and OD's by itself pretty well. BUT- When I got home and put it into the chain(TU-2 > Katana > TS808(orig) > TS808(ri) > CryBaby w/red Fazel > Univox U1226 60Watt 2 channel(bridged) class A Head > 2x12, Eminence Texas Heat 8ohm) Holy cow!
    First of all, the clean boost is exactly that. No coloration as far as tone. Since you're pushing the front end a bit harder, count on some increased overdrive characteristics. I'm actually thinking of removing the vintage TS808, as I like the ri w/ true-bypass mod a little better for it's warmth and mid punch. The Katana seems to do the job of the second TS as a front end push quite well. The overdrive is a bit much for my style so I'm still staying w/ the clean boost, and I'm really liking the fact that I can now boost my TS lead sound w/o adding another OD to my signal. What I've got now is what I was trying to get from the 2 TS's all along.

Or, in short I think you'll like it.

3. DustyBaker

DustyBaker Member

I just found out about Keeley today, and its like this explosion of really great stuff. Its great to see that not everyone wants their amp to sound like a chop saw. Really the only pedals i use currently is a Korg Pitch Black tuner and a Vox Wah. so to take advantage of the Wah i should probably go (Wah-Katana-tuner)?

4. buddachile

buddachile Member

Keeley has unsurpassed customer service too.

5. DustyBaker

DustyBaker Member

Really? thats friggin sweet. I should just drive there and see if they will sponsor my album by giving me gear.

6. DustyBaker

DustyBaker Member

Oh and sweet music by the way Buddachile

7. buddachile

buddachile Member

Thanks man!

8. jhuse

jhuse Member

Katana is a great little pedal. As mentioned above, it as a neutral clean boost and adds the clean-boost sparkle to the top end. The knob-out mode adds some nice warm dirt. Not as versatile, to me at least, as say an RC Booster (which has 3 more knobs!), but it does its thing very well. I use it to boost the volume of my Fenders to match the Les Paul.