Keeley Comp. - 1 internal trim pot?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bulbasaur_85, Dec 19, 2009.

1. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

I just picked up a Keeley Comp. in the emporium and opened up the back to find 1 trim pot. The manual I downloaded shows the circuit board face up with 2 trim pots - 1 for attack and 1 for input trimming. My circuit board is face down with one trim pot off to the side. Which one does this control? And what's the factory setting on this single knobber?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

anyone know what's going on?

3. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

Ok, Let me see if I can help, maybe the wrong manual is with it, does the pcb board lift up? That does not look like one that I have seen, I think the trim pots came one at a time, the Attack one being first and then the Line level one. I know what is called Keeley attack is with the attack set at the fastest, Go to Keeley's website and download the manual he has there, but that could be for the one out now,
    How does it sound the way that is? If it is good, I would leave it alone, if I was concerned about it, I would e-mail Keeley, they will get back to you and help you get it figured out
    JIm

4. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

I just reread your post, you did download the manual and saw the pic of an upward facing board, yours looks like an older one that someone modded,
    Jim

5. JGonzalez

JGonzalez Member

My keeley also has one internal trim pot. I bought it from keeley about 4 years ago and cant find a serial number anywhere for reference. Ill have to look for the box wich has the manual. All I can remember is keeley recomendes adjusting one way for single coils and the other for humbuckers. Hope this clears up the modded notion.

6. speedmusic

speedmusic Member

Same with me also having one trimpot, i bought it 2nd hand.
    Just send Keeley an eMail with this question.

7. stratmaniac

stratmaniac Member

Pretty sure there was a transitional period, where the attack trim was added, and then the input gain trim came later, which then led to the four-knob version now available. But by all means, ask the Keeley folks, their customer service is fantastic. I have an early serial two-knob, that was modded by Keeley to have the attack control.

If it is an attack trim, I believe the comp is set stock to the fastest attack time (all the way left?), so that the note is grabbed right away by the comp. Give it a turn to either extreme, and you should hear the difference between the two right away.

8. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

I got a response back from Keeley, sounds like it's an earlier Comp (serial # around 1000). He believes the single internal trim pot is for attack, and that counter clockwise all the way is the factory setting.