Keeley Comp or Barber Tone Press?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ratkent, Jan 3, 2006.

1. ratkent

ratkent Member

I've been doing lots of forum research and I feel pretty confident that one of these two (if not both) will do the job I need. Since I've never spent much time with either the Keeley or the Barber so I'm looking for comparisons or opinions on either. I have a Carl Martin Compressor but I want a more user friendly set of controls. It's a great unit, but I have an old Dyna Comp at home and I would like something with that kind of simplicity but with a higher quality tone.

2. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Im new to compressors, and recently picked up the Barber. I have really enjoyed this box so far. It seems to really make my Budda SD18 more sparkley, it adds sustain, and the drive feature can act as a boost if I want it. Also, I have been going back and forth with a reverb pedal (EV Holy Grail) and the Barber before the HG really makes the verb sound better, without the Barber, the HG is noisy and mushy. Probably the HG is just not that good anyhow.
    I have been running DynaRanger-Timmy-Barber-HG-Choralflange-DL4 out.

3. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I got the barber last week
    I LOVE it

the blend feature is a stroke of genius

4. olectric

olectric Supporting Member

I own the Barber and have played the Keeley. If you know anything about the builders, you know both comps are quality pedals. IMO, the Barber wins for its versatility. The blend knob is great--allowing you to blend your attack in with the compressed signal. With the internal trim pot, you can darken the sound up like a vintage comp. Most users don't tinker with that internal trimmer, so they don't know how well it can do a vintage squish. The Barber can also be used as a class A clean boost (just turn the blend knob fully CCW). I paid $80 for mine, which is also something that can't be done with the Keeley.

5. seanc

seanc Member

i have always been a fan of those Keeley Compressors.

I liked those Keeley Rack Compressors.

6. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Over the past year I have had Barber, Keeley, Analogman BiComp, Maxon,TC, Carl Martin, Boss, Ibanez.

Each nice. For me, the Barber has it all. Now, if David would consider also making a smaller version, I could put it in my other pedal boards too :)

Here are some clips using the Barber:

Clean Clips:

http://www.harryj.net/neck2%20tele.mp3
    http://www.harryj.net/outer%20p%20s.mp3
    http://www.harryj.net/bridge%20screw.mp3

Overdriven Clips:

http://www.harryj.net/s_neck%20dirt.mp3
    http://www.harryj.net/all%20dirt1.mp3

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

7. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Barber has very little color to your sound, which is why I like it. Keeley is a ross clone much like analogman etc etc. I own a Barber tone press and I dont see myself getting another compressor. Barber tone press wins for price, value, quality, and it suits my needs perfectly. I play very U2 type stuff to get an idea.

8. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Both great pedals. Keeley is great with a small footprint, love that size and its really quiet. The Barber is more versitile though. I think the blend knob really makes the difference, I had both, for the $$ I'd say go Barber.:AOK

Good luck

Richard

9. theHoss

theHoss Member

I am very happy with my barber as well, it is great. I haven't used the keeley. I would love it if Dave could make a smaller Barber, or a dual barber in the same size box. That would be very cool.

10. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I own and love the Tone Press. The best time to buy a Tone Press is after you've used other comps, then you really know what you're getting in the TP.

I owned the Keeley Comp. Robert builds quality stuff and tons of players love that comp. I like the TP better 'cause it can do that colored/squished thing like the Keeley, plus it can do the more transparent (until you try to turn it off!) compression which I prefer. Great class A boost and it's got a freak'in Blend control to manage the note attack. For me, hands-down, it's the Tone Press.

The one thing neither can do is super-squish like an Orange Squeezer circuit can. I had a McSqueeze which, for me, was the best OS circuit available right now. That is a very cool, and unique effect to consider.

11. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I know exactly what you mean.
    I use it so subtly that it doesn't sound like a compressor, just the best guitar tone.

Not to mention, no loss of dynamic control as demonstrated on the first audio clip in my previous post

HJ

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The diamond compressor is a high quality comp that won't squish your tone even maxxed, so it's basically there to be used as something very similar to studio compression. It cleans up your playing so sweetly (I leave mine on all the time with the comp knob at 9:00!), and will sustain a note for days if you want.

However, I recommend going for the monte allums dynacomp mod first and seeing how you like that. It's only 22 bucks and DIY, and will really improve the quality of it. You've got nothing to lose by trying it and, as a GASser, you'll have more fun as well, even if you do go for a Tone Press!

www.monteallums.com/product_links.html