Keeley Comp Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jockman, Jun 7, 2006.

1. jockman

jockman Member

Hello,

I am now the proud owner of a keeley comp, It sounds even better than I expected, BUT, there seems to be a hell of a lot of 'squash' at even the lowest sustain settings, especially when I use the bridge pick-up, is this supposed to be that way? I have the level set for a slight boost above amp volume, VERY slight, and the more I put the level up, the 'squashier' it sems to get. I have to say that this is at low home volume.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

2. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

Theres a control inside called "attack" this is how fast the compressor sets in. it sounds like this is too high for you. open the pedal and MARK where it is now (this is so if you sell it / want to reset back to start), then play wiht it until your happy. moving it to the right (clockwise) increases. To the left to decrease (anti-clockwise).

3. jockman

jockman Member

Thanks for the reply, but sorry for my ignorance, If the trimpot gets moved clockwise, does this LOWER the squash, what I mean is, when I play using my neck pickup and kick in the comp, I get a nice volume and sustain, very like the original sound but just more sustain, even when using a low gain overdrive pedal (Keeley BD2 fat) when I flick to the bridge pickup, the volume drops and it gets all squashed and clicky.
    Moving the trim pot makes very little difference.

4. jockman

jockman Member

Just also noticed that the pedal is older than described by the seller, It is dated 1-23-03 and the serial number is 640, is there a difference between the older and newer ones?

Jon

5. Dana

Dana Guest

I never understood why Keeley put the attack adjustment on the inside of the pedal. I like to be able to change the attack on the fly.

6. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I have external attack knob on my Keeley....love it!!!

Jockman, email Robert with your concerns and questions...the guy is the BEST in the business at customer service!!!!!

7. jockman

jockman Member

Thankyou all for the replies, Robert Keeley would seem to be the best man to talk to. :jo

8. jockman

jockman Member

Does anyone have the email address? I can only find the sales address to which I get no reply. Am I correct in thinking Robert is a contributor here?

9. Dana

Dana Guest

If I had an external attack knob on my Keeley I probably would have kept mine.

10. jockman

jockman Member

Well I spoke to the chap at Keeley UK, he reckons, by my description that a transistor has probably blown, namely OC44, would anyone know were I can get GOOD quality replacements, and is it something I could do myself, bearing in mind that all the little black things in the pedal, look the same to me.:confused::eek:

Jon

11. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

If you have no electronical knowlegde then probably best to get some one who knows how to show you how they would do it and then help you to do it, so next time you'll be fine. places in the UK
    maplin, Rapid, RSH, RS

12. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

try this email " fx@rkfx.com " - this is the one I used when I had a problem with something.....they treat you like a freaking rockstar so be prepared for serious customer service.:dude

13. jockman

jockman Member

Thanks jonny, email has been sent.

14. jockman

jockman Member

Well, just found out the Keeley Comp does NOT have an OC44. Not exactly reassuring advice there, eh!

15. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

Yep. The OC44's are in the Java Boost.

16. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

Ask about one of these...
    [​IMG]

17. jockman

jockman Member

Looks cool, I will see how I get on with the on I have first.

18. Volke

Volke Member

:drool

I'd love to buy a 4 knob...

19. blueprint

blueprint Member

Early Keeley comps didn't have any attack control. Neither internal, nor external.
    If you use this pedal with humbuckers, and especially with high output pickups, it can be vey squashy.
    By the way, Mr Keeley is ALWAYS helpfull if you have any problem with one of his products.
    Perfect customer service, at least...

20. jockman

jockman Member

The pedal I have does have a trim pot inside, my pickups are Rio Grande Texas BBQ set, not really high output. Still waiting for a reply from Mr Keeley.:(