Keeley Compressor > Internal Trim????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by devbro, Sep 6, 2005.

1. devbro

devbro Member

For all you Keeley guys.

1. Should I have my Keeley compressor modded to add the internal trim. Why?

2. Why when I set the compressor level at unity, I can kick in the compressor on my clean channel (Shiva) and not have a volume jump but on my drive channel I get a huge jump? I'm running it as follows: guitar > compressor > wah > amp

:eek:

2. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I bought one with the internal trim from musictoys.com, and I love it now.. I had an old one and I'll tell you this.. The old one would change my tone too much, and squish the heck out of it even at low sus settings, and the old one did not have much volume too it even when the volume was full blast.. Well the new one has a lot more volume than the old, and it has the attack trim that pretty much changes the whole compressor into a more transparent compressor, and more versital compressor.. The way Keeley ships it is with the attack at the fastest setting CCW, which means the compressor compresses the note you play faster.. I turned it about half way up, that why it wouldn't hit my notes too fast and the dynamics are there now.. I called Keeley about the new compressor having more output, and they said the resister got bumped up or somthing and thats why it has more output..

My Band - WET ANIMAL
    Website - http://www.wetanimal.net

3. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

External Attack on mine and I would seriously consider getting yours the same. I routinely play guitars with different pickups (hot, paf, singles, etc) and this allows me to dial in each guitar perfectly. I can't say enough great things about my comp now (loved it before but now it is really special).

4. devbro

devbro Member

I think I'm convinced and will send mine to Keeley for the internal attack mod.

What about the other problem of volume boost being different on the clean channel vs. the drive channel. If I set the compressor at unity while using the drive channel and engage the compressor it I get no volume boost. But now when I switch to the clean channel and engage the the compressor I get a huge volume drop. Why is this? Is it because the drive channel is seeing a more compressed signal and boosts it more than the clean channel?

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Is it because the drive channel is seeing a more compressed signal and boosts it more than the clean channel?

YES - When you send it in, i'll bet your compressor will come back with more output..

6. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

has anybody heard a timeframe for having this mod done?

7. ryanspeer

ryanspeer Member

My opinion is much the same as 58lespaulman's. I had the original one for my acoustic and sold it after only one week. It REALLY compressed the signal even at the lowest of settings and killed too much of the treble. After hearing the hooplah about the improved comp (attack adjustment) I was able to get one and the difference was IMMEDIATELY noticeable! The range of compression was FAR more adjustable and the treble wasn't chopped off anywhere near the extent that the original did.

I ended up giving it to a buddy of mine as a thankyou gift for helping me install pergo throughout my home, but otherwise I would've kept it without a moment's hesitation. AWESOME compressor - especially in comparison to the original Keeley.

8. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I think the turn around is 4 days to get the attack installed... I'm sending mine in to get the attack put on the outside..

9. devbro

devbro Member

I called Keeley today and the turn around time is about 2 days for the attack mod.

Hey 58lespaulman you were right about the compresed signal. It seems the only way to have equal unity on both channels is to back off the gain on the gain channel until there is no volume boost. The only problem with that solution is now I must have compressor on all the time to use it on both channels.

What did you mean by getting the attack on the outside? Isthis a knob on the outside of the box and will they do that? I wonder if the turn around time is longer. This sounds like the way to go.

10. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Yes, they will put it on the outside.. Go to there site and click on the compressor and scowl down to the bottom where the pricing is, and you'll see it says $35.00 dollars to put the attack nob on the outside, and they use a 150K Pot.. I already have the internal but would love the external...

11. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

On Keeley's site, it says that Strat, Tele, and LP users with regular output pickups don't need this mod. Do the rest of you agree, or would you recommend this mod no matter what? I'm curious since I have an older model.

Thanks.

12. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

My Strat and Les Pauls with regular pickups sound a lot better with the attack.. Believe me it's the best think you could do to this pedal.. GET THE MOD!!!

13. jcshirke

Thanks...for only $35 it seems like a no brainer, esp. if you definitely notice the improvement in tone. I'm glad I found this thread, or I wouldn't have even had a clue. Thanks!

14. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

You won't believe how much better, and dynamic it will sound after the attack is added.. Please tell us how you like it..

15. jcshirke

Hey...I just got my Keeley back today after sending it in for the external attack mod. I'll be trying it out tonight/tomorrow. Any recommendations as to the settings I should try? I will experiment, of course, but I was just curious if there is a particular sweet spot for Les Pauls/Strats.

You guys told me to check back, so I am! ;)

Thanks,

Jeff