Keeley compressor+

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by buzzp, Jul 13, 2019.

1. buzzp

buzzp Member

Running my 2013 SG standard into this into an AC30 set pretty clean, but feel like the compressor is making things dirtier. Is that normal?

2. buzzp

buzzp Member

Can anyone shed some light on this?

3. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I have a dyna comp type compressor so it's really squishy but I think your would be much better.
    Have you tried to adjust the blend control?
    Even I felt that my compressor made everything dirtier, by nature I guess.
    Are you using heavy compression?

buzzp likes this.
  4. buzzp

buzzp Member

It’s not heavy at all, I’ll keep toying with it. I will say that I’m mostly used to using compressors with single coils and not humbuckers.

5. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

You are hitting the input of the amp harder. I have this pedal, and a post I saw this week gave a good setting. Try the mix knob all the way to the left, with sustain all the way to the right. Output and tone to taste.

Notice that you have to turn the output knob to around 2-3 o'clock to even it out with bypass.

We judge volume by the sustain portion of the note, the compressor doesn't. It judges volume by the transient attack level, which is long gone by the sustain part of the envelope.

I see it all the time when keyboard players try to even out the volumes between a piano patch and an organ patch. The piano always winds up being too loud because they're being adjusted to the sustain, not the attack.

AceBSpankin and Vaibhav Joshi like this.
  6. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Hi!
    I've rekindled my relationship with my compressor.
    I can see them making more sense with SCs but I tried my compressor before my OD today & it actually amazed me. I'm running it at 18V but it mostly translates to a volume jump.
    - I noticed the signal becoming clearer (lesser low mids) & maybe a bit too trebly which I adjusted..
    - The noise also reduced because of my setup
    - For my fingerstyle playing/ cleans & recording purposes this works.

When I tried it earlier, placing it after my drive section, I didn't like it & experienced something similar to what you describe. Are you boosting your amp a lot with the comp ?

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Using the term “set pretty clean” means the level is near the headroom of the amp input. Compressing/boosting the input will definitely increase the perceived drive more than the perceived volume.

buzzp likes this.
  8. CanadianClassicRocker

CanadianClassicRocker Member

My Keeley compressor works better with single coils.
    With humbuckers, the signal gets too hot, which can create feedback if I'm standing close to the amp.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  9. Rolo

Rolo Member

Setting compressors is tough imho.
    The Keeley+ is a friendly piece of gear.
    I suggest you test it with fresh ears (in the morning) and use your amp clean channel.
    I would play Guitar>Comp>Amp on signal chain at a reasonable amp volume setting.
    Try to play single string patterns switching on and off the Comp.
    Once you decide you like the amount of compression and sustain then.. test the Volume difference without the pedal versus pedal on. Adjust the pedal's volume to taste. That way you wont loose the compressed setting.

buzzp likes this.
  10. Rolo

Rolo Member

Last but not least.
    For some of us that are natural tweakers and microscopical obssed with tone... you might come back to that Blend knob a couple of times later on.
    I discover a particular ring to the notes decay that i had to adjust that blend knob almost to zero,just for my peace of mind ( or is it Piece of Mind/ Iron Maiden!!) Used to love the first 5 Maiden albums.

buzzp likes this.
  11. DrewwerD

DrewwerD Member

Use one with a Les Paul. It can make things dirtier, bit doesn't have to. As suggested, use the blend and set your output to unity.

12. Produktsumme

Produktsumme Member

I use my compressor+ like a boost, so my guess is that this is what you have set it at. But it can also be set at unity gain, I guess that is what you are looking for. For me (hating compressors) this pedal is a blessing as it is so easy to dial in for a wide variety of use cases. Just use your ears and start with a clean tone.

13. philamag87

philamag87 Silver Supporting Member

I also use the Compressor+ with a Les Paul and have noticed it dirtying things. Even when I max the blend and sustain for super squash it doesn't distort.

14. buzzp

buzzp Member

Setting the blend low and the sustain high has helped a good bit, thanks all!