Keeley Dark Side v2 - Is it useable live? Probably returning it.

DavidE

I just got the Dark Side, but I'm thinking of returning it because I don't think it will be very useful for playing live for two reason. First, since it can't do modulation and delay at the same time it must be supplemented with outboard effects. And since v 2 has the effect order switch and no insert loop (I didn't know this when I ordered since the demos I watched were all version 1 pedals), I can't insert modulation pedals between the fuzz and the delay where I'd want them. Second, although the pedal is versatile with all the needed mod and delay sounds, you'd have to keep bending over to change the settings on the digital side between songs. Seems to me a pedal like this is begging for some presets. And with no tap tempo, some of the delay effects just aren't going to work as needed. The expression pedal is a nice touch, but I just can't envision this pedal being useful live.

Am I missing something or should I just return it?

Thanks

Brian Gilmour

I sold mine for similar reasons. I didn't realize that there was a version 2 where a order effect button was added and the TRS cable removed. I was going to just use the modulations and the fuzz with my other dirt pedals stuck in the TRS loop but you can't do that now. Plus the fuzz was very basic/not too exciting and certainly not Gilmourish. The delay being on a separate footswitch with a detent knob would have helped as well.

hippieboy

Silver Supporting Member
I have V.1 and i love it, i've read about v2 I think v1 is superior maybe robert can replace your for a v1 cause it's a killer pedal :p

DavidE

Why don't you message him and see if he will mod it for the insert? I'm gonna ask him if he can do it on my Monterey.
Too much hassle.

I'm a little miffed that the video linked by Prymaxe on their Dark Side page shows the V1 but they shipped V2. Then again, every video I watched on youtube for a demo used a V1. I even watched the video explaining the insert loop. At least Prymaxe makes returns easy but I'm out shipping both ways. I'll live.

Cgkindler

Too much hassle.

I'm a little miffed that the video linked by Prymaxe on their Dark Side page shows the V1 but they shipped V2. Then again, every video I watched on youtube for a demo used a V1. I even watched the video explaining the insert loop. At least Prymaxe makes returns easy but I'm out shipping both ways. I'll live.

:-(

Wish I was in the market man, I'd buy it from you (I live just down the road in Heath) but I just picked up a BOSS Katana 100.....

Hopefully you get what you want/need next time around!!!

ColonelForbin

Dark Side V1 is destined to become some weird limited edition collectible now! lol.. I can see arguments for either being legit; the ideal version would have both the TRS insert, AND the order switching toggle... Just saw this video; Mike Hermans demoing the V2 Dark Side, paired with the Monterey

DARK SIDE V2
You spoke and we listened! Make America TRS-Free Again. Okay, we heard you, you can’t switch order on the fly during a gig. You never used the TRS cable to insert effects. You just tossed the cable aside. You all said YES when we said effect-order switch. New units have a simple push button switch to change the order! Sweetwater has the first stock available of the new units. Mike Hermans did a new video with the effect-order switcher.

Stratobuc

Just got my Dark Side. I already own the Germanium Monterey. The fuzz on the Dark Side is what I wish the fuzz was on the Monterey. Very cool delay onboard. Haven't had time to play with the modulation, I'll do that tonight, but so far I love this thing. Another great one from Keeley!

hippieboy

Silver Supporting Member
I think if you want to create new stuff (inspired by gilmour's tone) is easier to use live than if you want to have David Gilmour tones. So it depends what you want, i use it to create new songs.

DavidE

It's not working out for me. It's a lot of pedal for the price (especially at 25% off), but it's just not useable live for me. I can't be bending down and moving knobs to memorized positions etc... I'm old. Cost me $12 to check it out so not a big deal.

hippieboy

Silver Supporting Member
It's not working out for me. It's a lot of pedal for the price (especially at 25% off), but it's just not useable live for me. I can't be bending down and moving knobs to memorized positions etc... I'm old. Cost me $12 to check it out so not a big deal.
what a shame cause it sounds great, but i understand. It's one of the "cons" for such a pack full of sounds pedal.

Heraclitus

I have the V.2 and do use it live. Placed in a loop on my Boss ES-5, with a power booster before the Fuzz.
I only use Fuzz, U-Vibe and Rotary. To switch between the two mods it's just one full turn clockwise or counter.
HOWEVER - I would prefer a V.1 to place my Power Booster after the Fuzz (sounds better) and I could use my Mooer E-Lady and Joyo Analog Chorus, which go well the Fuzz & Booster for "Wall" tones.
I don't like the Flanger, there's a weird "revving up" sound when you engage the switch and I prefer my Phase 90.
I use my other delays. No tap makes the Binson delays on the Keeley barely useable, live.
Ideally, I'd want an insert and/or a mod to split the two sides to place them in different loops on my switcher.
Overall, it's ok, but could be better. For the price...well, i guess it depends on what you plan to use it for.

Trending Topics