1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Keeley DD-3 Mod Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GtrWiz, Feb 9, 2006.

1. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I just got one, and I'm noticing that the first repeat is uneffected regardless of the toggle setting and the effects loop. I called Keeley, and they said that this is normal, but that doesn't make sense to me. What's the point of a high cut, if you don't hear it until the 2nd repeat, unless you're using very long delays? It also makes the FX loop useless except for the most extreme settings.
    So I'm wondering if I didn't explain myself well to the guys at Keeley? Any input from other users would be greatly appreciated.

2. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

bump...anyone?

3. danut

danut Member

Another bump here. I just ordered one, before reading this. I'm interested on how different (read better) is the KDD-3 if you only use two repeats. Thanks.

4. thebot

thebot Member

I have the modded DD3 - I'll report back over the weekend (I like long delays so doesn't bother me much).

5. danut

danut Member

Hey thebot,

We're still waiting for your report :)

Thanks!

6. thebot

thebot Member

Sorry, didn't get a chance yet (too busy getting to grips with my new amp :)). I'll try and do this tomorrow.

7. thebot

thebot Member

OK, had a play today. The looped effect definitely only happens on the second repeat, gradually getting more pronounced as the repeats go on. You can also get some sweet kind of background noise / colour depending what effects you are using, especially with something like a fuzz pedal, even with short repeats.

As to how much better it is if you only use two repeats, it does have the three tonal options that make it sound a bit more analog. That aside, I think even with short delays and subtle effects in the loop it really adds something to my sound, like a really nice ambience. Whether that makes it worth it for you is another matter because it is subtle. But the loop does really come into it's own with longer repeats as those later delays tail off with a bit of flanging, chorus, whatever.

I do think the sound is effected right away by the high cut but these are designed to emulate what happens with analog i.e a gradual decay of quality, so it's bound to sound more noticeable the more delays you have.

Hope this helps.

8. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

Yeah it does do that but the effect kicks in and makes it sound very cool!

9. thebot

thebot Member

Just to clarify, I meant that was a good thing!

10. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

11. danut

danut Member

Ok, thanks. I'm expecting mine in the mail, I'm impatient to start experimenting.

12. Tinman

Tinman Member

I have never tried a Keeley modded DD-3, but I have an Analogman modded DD-3 and it most certainly cuts the highs on the first repeat. It has a three-way toggle. One position is normal, one is slight high cut, and the next is more high cut. The only delay I use is slapback and this pedal kills for that.