keeley ds-1

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mojojason, Jul 31, 2006.

1. mojojason

mojojason Member

Any thoughts on the Keeley ds-1? I'm thinking of getting one but would like some insight into what to expect.

I'll be running it through a CLEAN jcm800.

Thanks,
    J

2. mojojason

mojojason Member

3. Ibanez_Guy

Ibanez_Guy Member

Hey
    I have one and I like it a lot, though im not the best person to explain how it sounds sorry. It's defiantly better then stock, and i like it for a really light OD with my current amp. With my last amp i used it to boost the OD on the amp and i liked it there too. The tone control seems more responsive then stock as well. Hope this helps a little... anyone else?

4. Austin AL

Austin AL Supporting Member

I have really enjoyed, it can do a lot of different shades of distortion and od but retain very clear note articulation. I am trying to trade mine right now, just to try something else, but I will probably get another one. Assuming I can get another OD in trade for mine.

5. gulliver

gulliver Member

I have two I modded myself, and I have a JCM800. It's an impressive pedal, but not really best for a clean channel. It will sound brittle and buzzy clean. I use it to boost my distortion channel with great relults. It just adds a little lift for more gain. It's voicing isn't best for fast '80s leads, though, it's more for a that really big phat puffy tone. For a JCM800 clean channel, I recommend the H&K Tubefactor. It's kind of a distortion channel all in it's own.

6. dosmun

dosmun Member

I would use the dirty channel of the JCM 800 way before I would get my distortion with a pedal. If you are going to go with a pedal the DS-1 wouldn't be on the list.

7. el34power

el34power Member

Keeley is a great guy, great service, great products BUT you have GOT to try a Crunch box threw a clean JCM800.... I do.

8. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

I had the ultra and dug it alot but found it only usefull with the gain pegged. It's kinda heavy metal sounding as well. The Keeley bd-2 phat will give you the same high gain but a nice Od as well. A better match for a jcm800, more transparent, more of the amps character will shine through. The DS ultra is great for getting clean Fender to sound like a jcm 2000.

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

10. brattmoore

brattmoore Member

Me too, I like my Jackhammer more ! Too bad, it's a VERY underrated pedal.

11. gulliver

gulliver Member

I have a Jackhammer too, and feel it has that same even grain as the Keeley. The Jackhammer has more of a nasal voicing, though. A friend of mine compared the two and said the Jackhammer makes his guitar sound like it has a cold as compared to the Keeley DS-1 ... good analogy, but depends on the amp with regards to what sounds better.

:Devil Spam alert: I was going to throw my Jackhammer on e-bay, but if anyone wants to try it, $45 shipped US. It's minty with box and manual.