Keeley Fuzz Head - any fans?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 62Tele, Dec 23, 2009.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I've been kicking around getting a fuzz pedal for awhile now and I would use it most likely stacked with a Blackstone. Never had a fuzz before, pretty much an OD guy - seems like this one might be more familiar. I want something that plays well with others, isn't fussy about power, versatile, musical, in short a good working pedal, not a prom queen. This it?

2. woude

woude Member

I got one as a birthday present a couple of months ago. I really like it. I can get some awesome sounds out of it. It's more an overdrive mixed with a bit of an hard edge than a real fuzz, but maybe because of that it's actually really usable.

Don't buy it if you want a fuzz like a fuzzface, big muff or tonebender, because you'll be dissapointed. It's not that fuzzy, etc.

To me it sounds like a low-gain germanium fuzz (even in silicon mode, I don't hear much difference in the two modes) like my old Fulltone 69, but with the gain rolled back and an overall more balanced tone. It doesn't come close at all to a silicon fuzz like the Fulltone 70, which is a totally different sound.

It blends really nice with other overdrives & boosts, it's really musical, not fuzzy about power, temperature.

3. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

A great looking, well made pedal for sure but it quacked like a duck compared to my Dunlop Fuzz Face that I play every day and night.

4. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

While the Fuzz Head does not have the erratic behaviour of its fuzz peers, it really sounds like a fuzz when the fuzz pot is maxed out and the amp already cooking. It's also a very versatile fuzz since it cleans well and can achieve different shades of overdriven tones. It stacks well with other drive pedals too. Definitely deserves its price.

5. musica23

musica23 Supporting Member

I've read that you can get a Billy Gibbons-type tone using Fuzz Head. Anyone agree/disagree? Sounds like a pretty tame but very usable fuzz. It sure gets great reviews.

6. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

How about using power supplies and placement in the chain - typical Germanium issues?

7. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

Nope. NPN transistors. You're good with your traditional Boss, Negative Ground adapter.

8. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

Great pedal. It is a bit more tame than a lot of fuzzes, but it's very tasty.

9. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

I own 3 of em' and can say they work best with an amp that's on the edge of breakup that's when the effect shines. I use a Java Boost with it when I want a really sick fuzz sound. The available volume of a Fuzzhead makes it a blast to use when playing in a band, you can cut through the mucky mud and then some.

10. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I love the Keeley FuzzHead! I also have a Blackstone, and the two are a great match IMHO, and stack very well. The FuzzHead alone is indeed like a lower gain Germanium FuzzFace, but when pushed with a boost or OD pedal it can cop those cranked FuzzFace tones easily. I keep the FuzzHead on my main pedalboard and find it to be extremely versatile, musical, and great sounding, with good dynamics, string separation and touch sensitivity. The FuzzHead also gets along with other effects very well and works great after a wah pedal too. Someday I will get another to use with my Blackstone on my smaller grab n go board.
    mrblutone describes it well, and it cuts through great and never gets lost in the mix.

[​IMG]

11. braken

braken Member

Love mine. Very versatile but like others have said not especially high gain. Great for fattening up your tone if stacking and a usable fuzz tone on its own.

12. coldinWI

coldinWI Member

What I like about my Fuzz head is the sound. I agree that it's in the lower range (less fuzzy) than other pedals. In other words, it's not a saturated big muff type of sound.

It also has a lot of gain. I like to use it for a lead boost, rather than for rhythm sounds. The pedal is designed to clean up well with your volume on guitar, which it does very well.

John

13. jpagey

jpagey Member

great pedal for driving another pedal

14. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I have owned 3 myself, and really think it is the anti-prom queen of fuzz. Sure it may not be for you, but a lot of what's been said I agree with. I don't think it's an od at all; I am over od's. It's definately a fuzzface hybrid sound. Great with humbuckers or singles.