Keeley HALO Andy Timmons Dual Echo is out!

Have anyone tried this pedal in stereo? How wide is the stereo-spread in the 3 dual-delay options? Is it just dual delay in series (mono) or are they a bit panned right/left? The modulation is in stereo I assume, but how is it with the dual delays?

Last edited:

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
Got mine yesterday... it's great. It's not an "end-all/be-all" of course, but for the Andy Timmons/David Gilmour type stuff, it's fantastic. I am also not a fan of secondary controls, but Keeley has made them extremely easy and intuitive to get to and adjust on the fly. I haven't taken a deep dive on the "rhythms" or modulation section yet, but this pedal has pretty much everything I need.... combined with the RE-202 and my Deluxe Memory Boy, a I am indeed, finally, done with my echo quest. It took many many years, but I simply don't need or want anything else. I still have my Rose, that one will be difficult to let go of (the purple case and flashing blue rose seduce me!), it's GREAT as well.... still have my Adineko because it's so unique, but I have 2 rigs right now: the HALO is in my more versatile/modern/clean-dirty rig (Bad Cat Hot Cat), in the effects loop. And the DMB and RE-20 are in my vintage/roots/"moody" rig, LOL (Swart AST and Supro Tremoverb).

BIG KUDOS: the "Status Indicator"... THANK YOU!!! I wish ALL pedals with presets had this feature. Brilliant!!!

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Have anyone tried this pedal in stereo? How wide is the stereo-spread in the 3 dual-delay options? Is it just dual delay in series (mono) or are they a bit panned right/left? The modulation is in stereo I assume, but how is it with the dual delays?
Put on headphones and listen to the stereo demos, that should answer it .

GreatGreen

I haven't taken the time to figure out specifically how the stereo effect works, but I have swapped between mono and stereo and there is definitely a difference. I haven't heard any obvious all-hard-left or all-hard-right ping pong style repeats, but in stereo mode, there is some kind of subtle panning going on, enough so that the repeats feel separate from the center-dry signal.

Last edited:

PhilBeau

Has anyone tried to recreate this effect using a VST or amp sim with any success? Just trying to scratch an itch while playing in my studio until I can get the Halo.

I haven't taken the time to figure out specifically how the stereo effect works, but I have swapped between mono and stereo and there is definitely a difference. I haven't heard any obvious all-hard-left or all-hard-right ping pong style repeats, but in stereo mode, there is some kind of subtle panning going on, enough so that the repeats feel separate from the center-dry signal.
Cool, I have ordered one and will give it a try, takes less space than my timeline that I only use like 2-4 patches on anyway,..

Swijak

I found a pretty good demo of the rhythm patterns in stereo. Skip to about 4:18 for the quick version.

How does this do at copping a convincing enough EP3 sound? I use the Dunlop Echoplex, but would love to just have the ability to have a slap and 330ms tapey delay in one box.

petty1818

Can this be used as a basic delay? I really like the tones and the features and would definitely use the more atmospheric delays, but it would be great to also have presets for slapback or short/simplistic delays.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Can this be used as a basic delay? I really like the tones and the features and would definitely use the more atmospheric delays, but it would be great to also have presets for slapback or short/simplistic delays.
Yep, it sure can. :)

aaronblues

Silver Supporting Member

Even better, it's extremely usable as 2 basic delays. I thought that I would prefer the Dig-style setup with the cascading delays as separate channels, but I actually much prefer the banks of an A and a B preset.

Burgs

Ordered.
Hoping my knobs stay on.
KUDOS to Brett Kingman (not sure if he's a member here, or will just read).
THANK YOU for the EVH passage, the faux-reverb portion of your video.
Pushed me over the edge as that's how I like to use delay (very minimally).
I am a member here but don't contribute much (apologies). I'm glad you dig the different bits in my little demo. I had a bit of a jam with it two nights ago, mucking about with the Infinite Hold function. I just love the way it sounds, which is all any of us can ask for, I guess. Here it is if you're interested. Thanks again.

Jambo

That’s good if you plan on keeping it. I hope it is a keeper. Just ordered one. Good luck.
I certainly do, but I don’t understand your logic I guess. I‘ve never purchased anything with the intention of returning it… maybe that’s just me. Mint in box just means saving some coin to me, and if I did decide to flip it down the road the financial hit will be minimal if at all.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Mine is scheduled to be delivered the day after I come home from vacation, good FedEx timing

BroomH

Golden ratio is different from Andy’s settings. I’m sure you can set up the DIG to do something quite similar, but it lacks the modulation control and saturation to really nail it I guess.
I’d be surprised if you can’t get close enough with the DIG. I am guessing first delay to quarter, second to dotted, mix and repeats to taste (12o’clock?), mod deep, type 12 bits, tone to 10 o’clock, delays in series.

RolandKorg

Silver Supporting Member
Mine arrived today, direct from Mr. Keeley's webshop.

• I love it.
• That is all.

The thing about it is... i don't know. It just 'melds.' It fits into whatever i'm playing and it doesn't take over. I sometimes have to look over to see that it's on, because it does its thing without intruding. It just becomes part of the tone and makes it better.

I'm barely scratching the surface, primarily sticking to the default 'Halo' preset, but even my quick dalliances with other presets—they just sound good. I recently got an Eventide H9 and wanted to see if there were algorithms in that that would compel me to return the Keely, but... no. I mean, i could spend some time and try to get it there, but just in general, the Keeley sounds beautiful and the H9 sounds a bit abrasive by comparison. And i like the H9. As i said, though, i've had the Halo for about an hour, so no comprehensive assessment yet, but on the face of things, it does exactly what i wanted when i bought it, and it does much more.

So, now with a DD-200, i've got three delays on my board.... Seems excessive. But, i'm gonna think of the H9 as just a 'utility,' because it does so much 'else.' I'm fine with that. Oh, and i have a hundred delays in the Kemper. But, i just tried a Kemper preset that means to replicate the Timmons delay, and... it's in the ballpark, but it doesn't have the magic, spread, or life of the Halo pedal. I'm not the kind of person who will play around with parameters for more than five or ten minutes to try to get somewhere. The Halo just does it and it's effortless.

I've got a Super Phat Mod, a Red Dirt, [ooh, i forgot: and the MOON Fuzz] and now the Halo. They're all just kinda perfect at what they do. I hope Mr. Keeley doesn't start making guitars. On one hand, they'd be great. On the other hand, i can't afford to "collect'em all!"

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom