Keeley Japanese Apt. vs. Little Lehle looper

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kldonegan, Sep 6, 2008.

1. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Can anyone shed some light on the differences? I've had three of the little Keeley loopers, and they seem to do fine. Any good reason for me to shell out double for the Lehle?

2. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

stereo ins and outs.... thats about it.

3. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Relay switching and amazing quality.

4. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Right on. Sonically, is there any difference? A switcher is a switcher, no?

5. TomK

TomK Member

IMHO - No.

Lehle switch signals using sealed relays controlled by a logic circuit. Potentially much quieter and reliable over the life of the pedal. He also completely switches both signal and ground avoiding potential ground issues. (That is how I used to build my SwitchBox products way back when.)

I think his build quality is the best in the industry. Way above a hamond box with a 3P switch and an LED. You gets what you pays for.
    That said...it may not matter at all to you.

6. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

there is definitly higher quality on the lehle. i wish i didnt sell myne everyday.

7. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

That's what I was looking for, right there. It matters very much to me, so I want to gain all the info I can.

Thanks!

8. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

You may experience some tonal loss from the capactiance of the switch vs he relay.

9. TomK

TomK Member

Another thing I have noticed about big clunky mechanical switches is that they can actually induce a "microphonic" sound through the cable. Especially cables that are somewhat microphonic in nature like George L for example.

The Lehle use a soft switch driving a logic circuit which controls the relay. Much quieter all around and more reliable over time. The relay contacts cannot oxidize and degrade. Of the thousands of pedals I built with relays - I never had a relay failure or a complaint about noise. I did however experience switch failure on occasion.