Keeley Java Boost and Beano Boost...same things?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jumblefingers, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I've tried a Retroman and Analogman Beano boost into my Blackstone OD and they did not sound too good...with a Tele it was too bright and thin. I was thinking of a pedal to kick up the Blackstone (which can take some pedals in front even in "bypass" mods like the Sun Face etc) as the BS can act a lot like a tube amp but was curious if the Java Boost is the same thing as a Beano?

Asking as it has been described as a boost, treble boost, OD etc and it has a Tone control to tame the high end. Any info appreciated!

2. krisharmony

krisharmony Supporting Member

bump. I'm curious as well.

3. Teahead

Teahead Member

Essentially yes, they may use different transisitors to get there, but they are extremely close to one another in terms of sound. Beano is a little more raw and open, Java has a tone control, take your pick.

4. marcau

marcau Member

Absoulutely not! The java i find to be fatter (in the full range boost which is what i use), clearer, grittier, and punchier. The beano was way too loud for me, unity was at 9 o' clock, and at that level, you dont really get much dirt, just a slight fattening. As far as the beano's sound, it sounds more open texture wise, and i guess because it is brighter, it sounds more "lively".

Obviously I prefer the java, but to each his own, both great pedals, i seem to prefer the oc44 trannies, also had a retro man beano, sounded very similar to java, but i liked the java's fatness and eqing more. I can understand if you played marshall type amps and had the luxury of cranking it how i might have enjoyed the beano more, but for fender amps the java gets my vote.

5. Jumblefingers

It "appears" that the purpose it to accentuate the upper harmonics into a distored "darker" amp and to push it harder. This may be the "DUH" statment of the year. I am looking for something to push pedals into different territory as well as add more harmonic "dirt" but not a lot...guess I have to go try one to see. I'll take my Blackstone with me and see how it reacts I guess...

6. eru

eru Member

Good idea.

The Bluesbreaksers, Queen, etc. tone so many people like was a treble boost (that these are all based on) into dark marshall amps, which the blackstone is supposed to reproduce.

I really want to try that combo as well.

I've played the Java Boost and some other treble booster into a JCM 800 that was for some reason a LOT brighter than I'd heard before (without them). The other one was alright. The Keeley was disappointing. I think I may just not like Keeley effects, despite wanting to, and I have no idea why.

7. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    they're both supposed to be clones, or at least a modern take, of the dallas rangemaster - so yes, they are the same type of pedal, but to my ears sound pretty different.

i prefer the AM Beano Boost over the Java. I think the Java sounded excellent and was a bit more versatile with the tone control. however, i liked the Beano Boost better because with my rig, it cut through the mix better and had a lot more volume on tap. if you're finding the beano boost into the blackstone too bright then the java might work a little better.

i found the java's tone to be pretty fat and "round" but again i liked the beano because it sounded a bit more raw and open....

8. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

As usual, I totally agree with your take on the Beano vs. Java Boost. I liked the Retroman a lot, but the extra control of the JB wins out for me. The only caveat is that I seldom use the JB (in any mode) with my guitar volume wide open. I also mainly use it in Full Boost mode and treat it like a fuzz in terms of guitar volume control. That's where the real magic lies for me. YMMV.

9. Jumblefingers

I too found the Beano's to get to loud too quick so there was no way to get any dirt without it getting WAY too loud. Again, I could see them working great with a neck humbucker into a non master gain amp and kicking up the harmonics to set some sweet sounds.

Personally I am loking to see if it can do this at a slightly lower volume with not as much high end boost. Again, guess taking the little Blackstone (which is still my #1 pedal after all these years) to the store and giving it a whirl is the best way to find out.

10. improv4

improv4 Member

I'm sorry, not sure I understand, were you going from the boost to the Blackstone or the other way around?

11. Jumblefingers

Boost into blackstone...thanks.

12. playon

playon Supporting Member

You should check out the Divided by 13 version of the Rangemaster, the "Dyna-Ranger". It has a low cut rotary switch with 5 different settings, very useful. I compared it to the Keeley & thought it sounded much better.

13. btmish

btmish Member

You may want to check out a Phoenix Ranger too, instead of different settings, like the 3 of the Java Boost, it has a sweep over the entire range.