Keeley MM4 & DL4 mods

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KRosser, Sep 8, 2005.

1. KRosser

KRosser Member

I've been asked by a number of folks here to tell my impressions of the Keeley mods to these two Line6 pedals. I've had them back for about a week now...

First, let me say I am predisposed to liking both of these pedals as is. I've had both since their first week of issue and I have them on my working pedalboard all the time. No, I don't think they necessarily sound exactly like the effects they're supposed to model. They tend to not favor the more extreme settings for those of us that like to f*ck things up once in a while.

What they do have is a fairly exhaustive supply of pretty good sounding effects that are easy to tweak & recall, albeit all of the more 'classic' variety. On sessions and gigs they have saved my sorry butt more than once...

First off, the 'volume drop'. Honestly, it was never that big a deal to me. It was pretty slight. Keeley 'fixes' this with what sounds to me now like an equally slight volume boost when the effects are on. It definitely helps them cut through a bit more. There is a bit more openness and shimmer to the sounds. Clearer highs & warmer mids. Also, they feel slighly more 'touch responsive' in a way. At $100 apiece it's not a cheap mod, and each 'improvement' in itself is kinda subtle, but they definitely add up to a better sounding pedal. All in all, considering how heavily I lean on these two pedals for my work, I would do it again.

Personally, I'd love to see Line6 do a software upgrade to improve some of the sounds (such as the Leslie effects on the MM4), and one which would allow the use of more than one effect at a time. Me thinks it's too much to ask though.....

Anyway, any specific questions, etc, fire away....

2. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I just picked one up today, and for the little amount of time that I messed with it, I think the delays are amazing sounding. The thing that bugged me though, and this was the main reason I got the pedal is when I would loop something the loops volume dropped drastically?? But like I said I just got it and maybe wasn't doing it right.

3. eric-d

eric-d Member

I dunno.... I was listening to the Echoczar today from the website and I was floored... I'm seriously considering getting rid of somethings to get that bad ass!!! With the $200 for the pedal, and $100 for the mod, you're almost half way there....... It's expensive as holy hell, but it's the best delay I've heard.... I have the DL4 and I've been bitching about it for 5 years.... I seriously think it's time for me to sell it and move on.... I just need to decide if I want to blow that kind of cash on the Echoczar!!

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

Make sure the mix knob is up. It should play back what you looped at exactly the volume you played it in, if you set it that way.

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

The Echoczar appears to be a pretty serious pedal. I wish there was a way I could play one myself before setting down that kind of money. I have played the Blackbox Quicksilver, which I also thought was very very cool.

I own many kinds of digital & analog delays. Like I said on my first post, though, on my pedalboard that I drag to general gigs, I have the newly modded Line6 DL4 (as well as a Maxon AD9) and I'm very happy with it. The other delays I have for more specialized gigs and recording. I would very much like to try out an Echoczar sometime, but I don't feel any burning urgency to buy one until then.

6. eric-d

eric-d Member

It is a lot of green but it is exactly what I need.... It's either that or buy the BYOC Digital Delay for the slap-back and mount it to the top of a modified DLX Memory Man for the sweet long delays... I know it'll save me money, but to save a little space on my board, I almost think it's worth getting the Echoczar! I'd most likely never have to buy another Delay pedal again...

On the other hand, if the Line 6 mod was around $50-$60 bucks I'd consider it a hell of a lot more.... I'd have to really sit down and A/B a pedal thats modified and one that's not to really see if its worth it. I've heard all the things Keeley does to it are subtle.... I'm not sure that's worth a Benjamin.

7. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I have the newly modded Line6 DL4 (as well as a Maxon AD9) and I'm very happy with it.

Would you say that getting this mod is TRULY worth the money?

8. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

Thanks a lot. :)

9. KRosser

KRosser Member

Only because I use the pedal just about every day. If I didn't, I'd definitely think twice, not because it doesn't sound better (it does, noticeably so) but because we are talking about 50% of the price for the pedal in the first place. This happened to come along at a time when I had the $200 and felt like taking a chance on it. Again, I'm not sure I could enthusiastically recommend everyone drop $100 each on these mods, but if you use and like these pedals, they're definitely improved by it. I would indeed be more insistent with my recommendation if it were cheaper.

10. KRosser

KRosser Member

I thought the Echoczar was analog? I didn't think that would allow for long delays....

11. eric-d

eric-d Member

12. mcflymcflymcfly

mcflymcflymcfly Member

does keeley replace all the red lights on the dl4 to blue ones, i would only get the mod if he did that :p :p haha

13. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

only one on mine

14. webb

webb Member

He did on my dl4. My story is pretty much the same as KRosser. I'd had mine for years and it has worked fine. I had mine modded last summer, definate improvement.

15. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Sounds cool, but I just can't go with digital anything. Call me crazy, I just won't go there.