Keeley Modded Ibanez AD-9 Delay, Any hands on experience..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jazzygeoff, Oct 6, 2005.

1. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

Out there?

I am really horny for this pedal especially with the 2 expression pedal ports that do the glide/tap tempo function.

I've searched around here and know that Robert Keeley and his companies stuff is top notch so no problem there. I'd just like some of the users of this pedal to pipe up and tell me a bit more about it.

I'd really appreciate it! :BEER

2. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

I got one a while back and just 2 weeks ago got the Keeley DD-3 mod both delays are fantastic and different in applications. I love the warmth of the AD-9. The DD-3 is my favorite today..and they sound very good together too! The AD-9 is a rockabilly dream delay. Lots of cool tricks to use with it! Then to make matters worse I test drove the new Keeley Delay 2 weeks ago and it is just as unique as well...probably will have to get that one too..

3. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

So how does the expression pedals work on the Keeley AD-9 mods? The level expression pedal I cannot see a big problem with the operation of it. According to Keeley's www info on the time setting
    How does this work and sound in practice??

4. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

It works with practice...you can be playing along and want that Long Pink Floyd solo delay and you step on the control and you got it....I used to have another preset delay just for those momments...lots of fun!

5. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

So is hard to get used to, without being a tap tempo switch to get the right repeats? Or is it more of a crazy warped effect in use?

6. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

It's easy to use...it can sound warped if you like but depends on how much you ride the pedals...just adjust as needed...

7. eknapier

eknapier Member

Tell us more about the new Keeley Delay :). Haven't heard about this one yet. I'd love to find an analog delay with alot of headroom (my memory man is somewhat limited in this respect). ANy suggestions? How's the AD-9?

8. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

I got sent to Ok City on business yesterday and so I gave Robert a last minute call and we had lunch and then I got a factory tour and a test drive on the new Keeley Delay, Overdrive, and Distortion. RK is as cool as it gets about taking time out of his busy day for me and my crew. Many Thanks RK you made our freakin' day a blast!

The Keeley Delay's we used are the Katrina auction units and they are slightly different because they are both proto types. They are outstanding and I will be the first to tell you...these will make the winners very happy indeed. The unit is arounf 300ms and can do the AD-9 rockabilly stuff perfect. But that's where it ends with a Ibanez AD9 or AD80..or AD99 for that matter. The Keeley Delay is like 3 slices of pie in one unit...you get a Hi-Fi crystal clear analog repeat if you want, plus it can go Lo-Fi and dirty repeats and then it can do a a fine grit FET boosted stadium guitar sound that distorts by itself...awesome for Cliff's of Dover sound. The Keeley Analog Delay can do ruunaway delays..dirty or clean...Robert almost has a reverb sound starting to develope from this pedal. Think of (3 )one trick ponies that can each do several tricks and you have an idea of the Keeley Delay. Jack Orman helped Robert with some of the board design and it shows... incredible warm sound thoughout the range of settings and Robert thinks overall it is slighty more lo-fi but it will get clean with the single pickups. Robert was using a Roy Gallager Strat and then later plugged in a hot hummer guitar...and talk about a overdriven tone using just the delay by itself...fantastic sounding and hard to wonder what new tunes will be written with this delay. The other thing is when he plugged either his new distortion or new overdrive the delay comes alive and gets bigger and better....my crew and myself had to pick our jaws off Robert's desk. The Keeley delay is not dark like Ibanez's... it is bright and can still get lo-fi dirty with a twist of the ol' controls. I call the next feature the "Keeley Tweak Factor" same as the Keeley CE-2 and Fuzzhead..an intrernal control dials in the dirt or clarity parameters of each slice of tone you choose...it won't do the whole pie on any one setting ..but you get 3 flavors and they are mmmm good! A very tweakable unit I gotta give a high rating.

The New Overdrive proto was very diferent than anything I've heard...cept maybe a cranked Fender... it retains single note clarity even when dimed and complex chords are heard. The volume makes a huge difference how this effect reacts..very much the same case for the Distortion proto...gobs of available gain and yet it can do the clean thing with plenty of bottom end without the mud..seems like the strings are alive and breathing.

The Distortion is not a DS-1 anything..Robert has got this sounding big and bad and very hard rock with raw openess that seem so full that it sounds darker than a DS-1 and retians complex chords and single note clarity. We spent most of the several hours on the delays. Robert said these delays will be coming for sale soon and I will be first in line when production starts. Robert is turning my Keeley BD-2 Fuzz Freak into a Super Freak by adding a two stage control...one set clean..one set dirty and indicators for each operation including when the Germanium Caps are engaged. That will be next week and another report.
    Enjoy the pics!
    [​IMG]
    The House of Blue Lights lobby! I'm waiting for the tone doctor to see me.

[​IMG]
    The new custom painted Comps..one of these is up on the H-C auction..notice the external tone control and killer paint..and the power is now located on the top of the effect.

[​IMG]

The work bench with the killer purple delays!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new box is gonna be a Delay and OD or Distortion together...killer stuff boys!

[​IMG]
    The Tone Station boxes are ready...man that factory is jumping and there is a ton of activity everwhere..I think you will all be seeing these effects very soon folks ..I get to return next week and will snap a few more pics for ya all!

9. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

So is the new Delay going to be tweakable with tap tempo/level control and or the glide control on the fly like his modified AD-9? Or more of a straight delay like the DD-3?

10. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

A real analog delay with some real mojo pretty much straight ahead design!

11. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

So just straight then? You were saying that it had

So it sounds like that you can't easily morph between the 3 one trick ponies, or do the tap/glide tempo then. To bad IMHO...

12. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

Yeah it always is something...but I like having cool delays and the Keeley's are really cool! good luck finding yours!

13. trucks

trucks Member

Any idea how long before I can throw a splash of purple on my board?

14. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Yeah, I've been waiting for this too since I heard about it last month. It is the one missing piece for me right now, and I really look forward to it.

15. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

I was in Ok city last week and I skipped stopping by Robert's cause he is burning the midnight oil getting these things ready for us gearheads and I'm all for that...I hope we see them soon too!

16. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

The AD-9 has a trick up its sleeve... holding down the stock footswitch will send it into self-oscillation.

17. trucks

trucks Member

Very nice! Thanks for all the info. :)

18. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

Stock AD-9 or the Keeley modded one?

19. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

Only on the Keeley!!

20. jazzygeoff

jazzygeoff Member

Nice, that's worth the price of admission right there!