• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Keeley Modded Rat vs. HBE Power Screamer with Phat boost

cwilliams963

What is the difference between them. I have never really played through a RAT. I play mostly Mexican Rock along with some Funk and a couple of country standards. I have a BB preamp, Zendrive, OCD Ver 4 and an AC booster on the way. Any opinions would help. Thanks

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
Rats are fuzzy. Power Screamers are more in the TS family. I know that "fuzzy" is not a word I would ever use to describe my PS.

markj

I've got a Rat2 that I did the monte allum mods and I love it. Use it and an OCD for tubescreamer stuff and that's a great combo.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Rat's are more brash and well...ratty sounding.
The HBE screamer is a great TS inspired pedal. SMooth mids, nice and warm tone.

Joel does a great job with that one.

Twin63

I have a Keeley Rat and keep it on the "Phat Rat" setting. The tone is smoother and fatter on that setting. I haven't played a Power Screamer but do have a couple of TS based pedals. Rats and tube screamers are different animals but compliment each other very well.

playthecray

Silver Supporting Member
You don't need a Rat. There is a very limited amount of gain that is usable with the Rat. It is a very harsh sounding pedal in my opinion. The Zendrive and the BB should do you well.

thunderpuppy

My Keeley Rat is my main rhythm pedal... I wouldn't call it fuzzy (in a respectable amount of gain... cranked, it will fuzz up), but I also wouldn't call it "warm." I leave it in Fat Rat mode, and I find it useful through most of its gain range.

I have tried to replace this pedal more than once, and nothing has been able to do what the Rat does for me.

vintage66

If you've never played through a Rat you should just find one at a local store to play through first and see if that's generally the sound you're after. I've played through a Keeley but don't have one-I have a Rat 2 and Vintage Rat. The Rat 2 (Lm308) is my favorite pedal through my Jcm800-it really adds a certain bite that other pedals don't. Apples and oranges with a tube screamer type pedal though. The Rat has a certain nasally quality due to the filter control. I don't know what kind of match it would be for your musical stylel though.

Trending Topics