Keeley Montery Germanium - Anybody Try One?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 62Tele, Apr 16, 2016.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

The regular Monterey demos sound great, wondering how the germanium version compares and if these will be temperature-sensitive like old fuzz pedals?

Any thoughts?

Kalalau Hiker likes this.
  2. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Bumping for continued interest...

Kalalau Hiker likes this.
  3. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.
    interested as the Mike Hermans video seems to show the silicon regular version, unlike many silicon fuzzes, DOES clean up well ... which is one of main aspects of germanium over silicon.

4. Artb

Artb Supporting Member

I'm curious as well. My resistance finally wore thin and I put in my order last week. If I'm reading my receipt properly, it looks like it'll arrive around the end of the month.

I don't know if having germanium in there is really a hundred bucks worth of upgrade, but I suspect I'm going to like it either way. I'd love to hear a side by side comparison of the germanium to the original. Hopefully someone will take one for the team!

5. Artb

Artb Supporting Member

Yep, I definitely like it! The germanium fuzz has less gain than I expected (which I assume is a natural characteristic when germanium is used instead of silicon). Still, it sounds great and responds beautifully to the volume control. Really smooth and dynamic.

The mod effects are all really good, too. The rotary sounds much like the one in the Mod Workstation (though I have not done an A/B test), and that is not a bad thing. The vibe is really damn good. It's thick and intoxicating. Great for some Trower! I also adore the fact you can plug in an expression pedal. I no longer want to carry a big and heavy wah pedal around, and this is a really good replacement. My only nit pick is that there is a little bit of latency when using the expression pedal. I doubt the listeners would notice, but the player sure does.

I'd love the chance to A/B this with a regular Monterey. If anyone in the Seattle area has one....hit me up!
    [​IMG]