Keeley Nova Wah & Xotic Robotalk

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Brian Chan, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

Dear folks

Is there any sound differences between these two pedal?

Brian

2. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

3. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

i think (so dont qoute me) The nova wah is fixed frequency, and this freq can be changed. Its like leave ur wah like pedal up so it sounds very trebley.

the xotic is like someone moving the wah pedal for you as you play harder they move it more. also the xotic has a sample and hold. which i dont know really what that is.

hope this helps

Aj

4. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

The Keeley is an envelope filter and the Robo is a ring modulator.

Different animals.

5. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Actually the Keeley is not an envelope filter (says so on their website), and the Robotalk is not a ring modulator. With an envelope filter, the strength of the wah (filter) varies with the dynamics of the input signal. The harder you hit the strings, the more of a "wah" sound you get. With the Nova Wah, the filter strength is generally fixed, though variable (manually) with a knob. Think of the Nova Wah as a regular wah pedal, but replace the usual foot controller with a knob turned by hand.

With the Robotalk, it's not a ring modulator since there is no carrier and no sum/frequency mixing. Here's a good description of a ring modulator:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Ring_Modulation/

As I understand it (and Robotalk owners correct me if I'm wrong - I've only played one twice) the Robotalk is a envelope filter, with an expression controlled strength (so you can use it as a regular foot controlled wah) and a random sequencer which changes the "Q" (center frequency) of the wah setting. This is slightly different from another similar pedal, the ZVex Seek Wah, where a random sequencer controls the wah's strength.

6. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Actually, the robotalk is a very very good envelope follower (think auto wah) and also a random arpegiator. The arpegiator can be manipulated with an external expression pedal. You should check out the sound clips on their website www.prosouncommunications.com

The Nova Wah is basically a fixed wah.. thats about it..

They are very very different.

7. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

Benster is absolutley right, completely different animals. Both very cool in their own way.

8. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Good info. I stand corrected.

:eek:

9. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

I have a few clips of the Nova if interested......

10. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

Thanks guy!!!! Its informative.

To mrbluetone

I am interest to listen your clips!