Keeley Pedal mods?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by awillingham, Oct 6, 2008.

1. awillingham

awillingham Member

Anybody have their pedals modded by Keeley. I know I have heard of several doing the blues driver. I am interested in modding my DS-1 and TS-9. Anyone have any experience.

2. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

I've used or owned the Keeley TS-9 (Baked Mod) and the BD-2 Blues Driver. The TS-9 Baked Mod is essentially 3x the gain (so, "0" on the drive dial is actually "3" and ascends upward). Sounds great and does exactly what it said it would do, but it requires another stomp box for boost-only tones or those with little gain (less than 3). I've never really loved the mid-hump on tubescreamers, partly because my Blues Junior is already mid-heavy. I'd recommend you start with the Mod Plus and go from there. The BD-2 was purchased in an attempt to get a more transparent tone. While it achieves this, I thought the gain on the blues driver was very fizzy once you got over 4-5 on the gain knob. Again, still not the animal I was looking for. For the same price, I would recommend the Fulldrive 2 MOSFET. Has more/less the same tones achievable from the BD-2 and TS-9 Keeley pedals. Plus, it works with an 18v adapter to unleash even more tones. While the 18v adapter changes are fairly subtle (depending on what subtle is to your ears - to me, the changes were significant), it does give the pedal more transparency and removes some of the compression. While there are other pedals out there that "sound" a little better (read TIM, OCD, Zendrive, Rodenberg GAS, etc.), I think the Fulldrive 2 has more usable features that sound better than average. Best part is that they are still reasonably affordable and there aren't any waiting lists (over 6 mo. for a #$%&* TIM? Please.)

3. pitner

pitner Member

I have a Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus and its a keeper, also have the Blues Driver with keeley mods and it is a keeper. Both pedals are real different but sound amazing to my ear and I am pretty picky and been playing since I was 10 and I'm 58. I also like the Menatone pedals and have three of them on my board. Keeley is cool to deal with and fair IMHO.

4. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I have a TS9dx Flexi 4x2 and I love it. Super versatile and true bypass. I also have a Fuzz Head which is a killer lead boost. I'm a big Keeley fan!

5. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I have the DS-1 mod and love it. I also buy cords, plugs and accessories from them, and I have always had top notch service freom Keeley.

6. taco-man

taco-man Supporting Member

Had my RAT modded by Keeley. Smooth transaction. I love it. For this, they put the coveted LM308 chip in there, add a toggle switch, and upgrade some other components. The pedal now has the vintage sound, a phat rat (big distortion), and the clean rat (half the distortion, half boost.) They will also add LED's and convert power jacks to Boss style.

7. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I have the a Keeley modded TS808 with vintage 1982 chip and True Bypass and love it. The only other mod that competes IMO is Analogman's True Vintage mod which is also great. I would really like to try the AM 808/Silver mod some day. Robert really addresses the bass-loss issues well while keeping most of those sweet mids (which is important to me...mids are not bad!) and sounds a lot more natural. You can also get a lot more and a lot gain out of it than the stock ones so it is a lot more versatile and stacks great with other ODs. Can't beat the blue LED either.

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Anyone try the DD-3 mod?

I just ordered one. I like the DD-3 (and I own several high end delays) and Bonamassa uses one. However, I would like to slightly roll off the highs just a bit so I ordered the DD-3 mod pedal.