1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Keeley RAT, Barber DD, or ???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bushmill, Oct 30, 2005.

1. bushmill

bushmill Supporting Member

Looking for a gritty, crunchy distortion for rhythm duties and maybe a bit of lead and am torn as to my options....I am looking at the Keeley RAT, the Barber DD/DDSS, maybe a a Maxon Distortion Pro or D/S II....Any suggestions?? Here is my current setup:
    MayFly BC-30 or TopHat Super Deluxe
    Timmy, Mosferatu (on the way...), EB volume, etc...
    Using single coils and humbuckers on the varied geetars....

Cheers!
    :D

2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Funny thing, I’m sitting here jamming through my Keeley RAT right now. Don’t get to much cause it’s on my GIG board. It is a real cool pedal… But I use it for a lead tone, I’m not sure if a like it a lot for rhythm. It’s a bit hairy… I do use it sometimes for rhythm, it’s just IMO, it rocks as a lead pedal. I use my Eternity for the other stuff.

BTW, I play it through a Club Royale. I’d at least check it out, it’s a pedal worth having IMO. Like many other great pedals, don’t just listen to it by yourself in your practice room. Putting on some recordings and some gigs, you’d be surprised at how almost *perfect* it is.

3. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

+ 1 for Keeley Rat.

I got one in a muti-pedal trade with the intention of selling it immediately. Plugged it in just for giggles and was just floored. Now it sits on my board, I have sold every other OD/Dist pedal in my arsenal, and I am looking for an OD to compliment it.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Nothing says gritty like a tubescreamer clone. Try the SD-808 from monte allums here:
    http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html
    soundclip:
    http://www.monteallums.com/SD-808.mp3

It's a DIY mod for 20 bucks. Though if you send in your own SD-1, he'll mod it for 35 bucks (cheapest price I've seen, especially for a top notch pedal like this one)

btw, I've heard the same things about the keeley RAT (good for lead, not good for rhythm). If you call them up, they'll tell you so themselves

5. jeak

jeak Member

I have not heard a Keeley Rat, but I've had my circa 1985 Rat since it was new. I agree that it's a good/great lead pedal. Not really crunchy at all. For what you describe, the DD I think would be best out of the three you mention. I have had a DD and a Maxon D&S II but sent them both back. I was looking for more of a lead sound, and I guess I was looking in the wrong place. Wish I still had them so I could assess them more for rhythm. I recall that both souded fizzy to my ear and with my rig.

What about your Timmy? Doesn't that do the trick? If you don't like it for leads (I do), then wait for your Mos to arrive before making another purchase. That might be all you need.

6. bushmill

bushmill Supporting Member

Looks like the Keeley RAT may be out of the running....The Timmy is great, but I use it more as a Boost/Light OD...Maybe the Mos will do what I am looking for...How's about the MI Audio Tube Zone? The clips sound cool....

7. jeak

jeak Member

Haven't tried the TZ, but the Blue Boy or Blues Pro might get you there. What kind of a lead tone are you after?

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I just got my 80's Rat 2 back from an old friend. To me it shines as a lead pedal but is too fizzy for rhythm work. I had a DD and found it much too compressed. Currently the Tech 21 Double Drive is my Marshall in a box and it does the job fairly well.

9. what?

what? Member

I would really recommend keeley rat, I've got both keeley rat and ddss, keeley rat is a very versatile crunchy pedal, you can get from early break up to full on distortion to fuzzy thick distortion....the ddss is very mid heavey and fluid...its good though, but for cutting through the band mix the rat is the one to go, and for versatility as well...plus keeley rat is excellent for rhythm while the ddss I'd say for my style is more a lead pedal....

10. what?

what? Member

Oh one other thing, if you want one drive pedal in your board that would be alone without other drive pedal get the reezafratzitz, this is one pedal that respond like a real amp to me, but when you placed it along with other drive pedals, you start to hear it as thin...when I play it in band mix using the reezafratzitz, my guitar sound sits just nicely without overpowered mid as other pedals have...the reezafratzitz is also one versatile pedal that goes from blues heaven to hell and back...try it for yourself!!

But I dont think anyone in this forum would be willing to have just one overdrive/distortion on their board :)

11. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

You can say that again!

Yep, I use an Eternity and the Keeley RAT and I get exactly what I need. If I need crazyness, I stomp on my Fuzz Factory that also resides on my Gig board. The remaining 7 OD/Distortion pedals are at home when I need them...