Keeley Red Dirt Mini vs. Greer Lightspeed vs. J Coloccia id

Glitch Magnet

I've read way too many threads begging comparisons of this and that overdrive, and I never thought I'd be posting one myself, but here I am. I'm not a big fan of OD pedals, preferring light distortion or fuzz with my AC15HW1X, particularly the Bearfoot EGDMS. But for those moments when I just want that loud, raucous amp-style breakup (without actually turning up the amp), I'm looking for a low gain, low-compression OD to supplant the Durham Sex Drive I've been using to boost the Vox. I need more open, sparkly bite while keeping the bass and low-mids flat. IOW, I don't want my guitar tone altered when I kick on the OD, I just want it to sound like I boosted the amp without actually getting louder or pushing the amp into compression.

And then, of course, having some extra grit on tap would offer me some new flexibility, too.

So of everything I've heard on the youtubes, I got sold on the Greer Lightspeed. Then I remembered hearing demos of the Keeley Red Dirt Mini that impressed me, particularly in Amp mode. So, I actually found demos of each by Shnobel using the same guitars and amp, and both pedals sound strikingly similar.

So, I can't be certain if the Lightspeed is worth the extra coin and space. Those demos mostly use a Strat, while I play a LP R9, LP Deluxe, and Tele Thinline RI...all low-medium output humbuckers.

Has anyone had an opportunity to compare these two pedals in person?

Pazz

I haven't played either of the pedals you mention. The Lightspeed is highly recommended on this forum for your exact purpose. (Of course Keeley doesn't walk on water, he gently hovers over it!)

I use my Timmy for the exact feeling you're looking for. It feels louder even if it doesn't sound louder. The eq on the Timmy is fantastic as well. I recommend adding the Timmy to your list of options.

mdmack

I have not played the Keeley, but the Lightspeed really is something special. It really shines through EL84's which is perfect for you AC15HW. I have had one on my board for a couple years now and nothing has even threatned to replace it. It is the only overdrive that I forget I have on sometimes. It reacts with your guitar and amp just like your guitar and amp react alone, but with more drive and it allows you to get lost in your playing and not worry about stepping on stuff. Want more drive? play harder. Its truely that simple with that box. You wont be dissapointed with the Lightspeed IMO

Glitch Magnet

Update. After ordering a Lightspeed, I learned about the JColoccia id. Then today I got word that the seller has stopped carrying the Lightspeed and cancelled my order. So I've ordered an id. Some say it covers the Lightspeed sound and lots more. The demos sound great, just what I'm looking for.

e-flat

I just learned today that my id will have internal dip switches to select between standard and custom modes, and will be burnt orange instead of green. Awesome!
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this version, as I've wanted to try an Id for a while-> If they're shipping with DIP switches to select both versions, I'll definitely have to pick one up! Plus, orange pedals rule.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
I've had all three and they're all different... pick your flavor.
Red dirt is a TS clone, lightspeed is more flat mids "transparent" world, the ID is smoother than both but still has a low-mid hump to my ears- versatile eq.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I love Keeley pedals and own a few... With the RD mini he messed up on the power input design/layout IMHO. For flat pedalboard users like me that have RA pancake patch cables, you can't use the power input, the patch cable blocks it.

Just my 2 cents. Big fan of RK and love his product... He missed there.

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
I have two red dirts. Neither is the mini. I have a standard red dirt and I have the germanium. They are definitely TS style pedals but both have tones you warm up to real easy. They can be warm at the extreme ends of the tone control. As you brighten it up, the mid prominence keeps them from being too bright even though there is definitely a bite in their tone.

Another keeley you might try is the katana blues driver. It's based on the Boss blues driver - I think. It has a prominent midrange without being a mid forward midrange if that makes since. And the bass and treble are active and very powerful. There's lots of gain in it if you want but it backs off to a very polite and warm sort of tone that is very easy to play. Very enjoyable.

No experience with the light speed or the ID.

Glitch Magnet

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this version, as I've wanted to try an Id for a while-> If they're shipping with DIP switches to select both versions, I'll definitely have to pick one up! Plus, orange pedals rule.
I will surely share my thoughts.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom