Keeley Reverbs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hofnarr, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

A while ago I ordered a Keeley "Memphis Sun" because I was looking for a reverb pedal for a small board and I liked the way it sounded in Mike Herman's demo. Long story short: I really hated it, sent it right back. Still, I'm curious about Keeley's other reverb offerings, so I'd like to hear from people who have used one or more of them.

2. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Supporting Member

I’ve gone through several. Keeping the Omni Reverb

Hofnarr likes this.
  3. John Mark Painter

It takes a while to learn how to listen to Mike Herman’s demos. I’ve done just like you several times..

Then I’ve gone back and listened to the demos again and I can clearly hear what I didn’t like about the pedal AFTER I got it :)

5cr33nager and Hofnarr like this.
  4. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

Ah, but isn't the trick hearing what you don't like about the pedal BEFORE you get it?

The omni looks interesting ... simple, perhaps a curative for those of us with tweakitis. Is the spring setting reasonably good? Are you using it as your main reverb, always on, or for something more specific?

Thanks

agtman likes this.
  5. agtman

agtman Supporting Member

Is the Level knob on the Omni more like a "Reverb Mix"/blend knob (as in it controls the volume of JUST the reverb itself) or does it affect the volume of your overall signal?

6. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Member

Yeah, Hermans is the Taco Bell of the pedal demo world. He's gonna give you GAS.

7. John Mark Painter

As a reference, I have or have had: Delay Workstation, Caverns V2, ME-8, Vibe-O-Verb, Seafoam, 30ms. They drop the Abbey into the Seafoam and 30ms and the ME-8 has a few verb algorithms.

Definitely a well balanced blend knob on the Omni.
    There is also an internal DIP switch that makes it 100% Wet and then the level is actually a volume knob.

You can palm mute pick the low E string while turning the "Level" all the way from dry to full and still clearly hear your pick attack and low end not changing. That's a big deal to me. The Keeley Vibe O Verb for instance, boosted your dry signal..I hated that.

Set in Trails mode, it is still very quiet when bypassed.

I honestly like all three modes on the Omni. The Room is great for Overdrive sounds. The Spring is great for general playing and 'twang', the Plate is excellent with higher dwell as an ambient wash and at lower dwell, it is a good alternative to Spring. Turned up all the way, the Plate is around 15 second decay.

The Room sound is the darkest, the Spring has a midrange to it that makes it sit nicely behind your guitar's tone, the Plate is brighter but still midrange.

I have a Tone City Tiny Spring that is a crazier spring tone. The Omni is 'safer'. But it does have a subtle Drip....not trying too hard to be springy like many pedals out there.

If the Omni had an EQ control, it would be really amazing. As is, I like the profiles they built into it.
    And at least for the time being, I am no longer looking up other reverb pedals.

Shnook and agtman like this.
  8. Riffa

Riffa Member

I have the Abbey. Best reverb I've ever played through. It's all about tweaking it right. All pedals are, really.

9. MNoir

MNoir Member

Got two Hooke Spring’s and a Gold Star. Found that you’ve got to spend a decent amount of time really getting to know his pedals. I dig them, amp dam looking at getting a couple more of his verb designs.

10. John Mark Painter

It’s all about how they sit sonically and interact with your pickups, amps and playing.

When I find one I can use, it’s like suddenly finding the right size shoe. But explaining it technically is hard.

Kowaj and 5cr33nager like this.
  11. Katzenkönig

Katzenkönig Member

Two words: Gold Star

One word: Amazing

12. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Love my Abbey Chamber Verb! Keeley makes amazing stuff.

Riffa likes this.
  13. John Mark Painter

Ive started using the chamber on the Seafoam and 30ms some. You just need the right application

slicepaperdavid likes this.
  14. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Very cool! It sounds great both clean and with gain(something that can't be said for most 'verbs)