Keeley "Signature" Compressor 2 Knob

Hey TGP'ers.
I just played a gig tonight really relying on my Keeley for compression and I gotta say I really admire the quality of sustain that you get from this thing. Some of the sweetest sustain I've ever gotten.
I used to use my Dyna Comp, which I find is so great on low settings to even out and bring out the quality of each note during chord work. However, whenever I wanted to get sweet musical sustain the noise got outta control. I knew I needed to get something else for heavier compression sounds and I am really happy with my Keeley.

Tim Bowen

Glad you dig it. I have an early Keeley two knobber. Great squasher but with nice fidelity. One of my favorite comps for tele bridge pickups. The sustain is great, but with hotter pickups some pumping and breathing can come on fairly early in the sustain knob's travel, which is somewhat just the nature of the beast with a two knobber I guess. Great sound though.

Last edited:
I agree! Last night I used my gretsch that has these really low output demarmond single coils, and it was perfect for it. It's a little too much for my les Paul though!
Glad you dig it. I have an early Keeley two knobber. Great squasher but with nice fidelity. One of my favorite comps for tele bridge pickups. The sustain is great, but with hotter pickups some pumping and breathing can come on fairly early in the sustain knob's travel, which is somewhat just the nature of the beast with a two knobber I guess. Great sound though.

ColonelForbin

I skipped the two knob and went for the four knob, still love it! I find the attack knob to be quite useful to have on top rather than inside.

It's printed in crazy tiny letters on the left and right of that attack knob on the four-knob comp - almost too small to be legible - single coil (to the left) and humbucker (to the right). I've also taken lately to dialing my clipping full clockwise, which is the stock 2-knob setting.

It is worth noting in regard to the 2 knob; the attack and clipping controls are inside! So if you were wanting to set up the two knob to play nicer with humbuckers vs single coil (turn down the attack for humbuckers); or even for instruments with louder output (turn down the clipping for humbuckers)

I primarily play an HSS strat, so I switch back and forth between humbuckers and single coil; I run the C4 near the front of my board; right after after wah, volume pedal, and fuzz.

Here is what I found about the two-knob internal trim settings: (Attack and Clipping)

http://www.robertkeeley.com/manuals/keeley_compressor.pdf
(There is a photo of the inside this .pdf of the two-knob comp showing which trim is attack and which is clipping)

Attack Control Trim:
The attack control is also set all of the way off for the fastest attack time. Turn this control up for longer/slower attack times. This is helpful for humbuckers or bass guitarists that want a very punchy tone. For the four knob compressor, the Attack Control goes from fast (Classic Keeley) to longer/slower attack times as you turn it Up. The Input Level Control Trim should be turned all of the way UP for the stock tone. Turn it Down to reduce the gain on the input of the compressor, only if you experience distortion. (Note: This is the reverse from models where the controls are internal.)

Input Level Control Trim/Clipping:
This allows you to reduce distortions that may be present when you use the Keeley Compressor with very high output humbuckers or if you use a booster before the compressor. This is also perfect for line-level instruments. From the factory it is set all of the way off (counterclockwise), which is the classic Keeley Compressor sound. Turn it up to reduce (clip) the sensitivity of the input.

I thought of checking inside actually! I opened it up but there were no internal trim knobs. I then found out the Signature Comp is based on the first Keeley comp he made and does not have the internal pots! I deal with the difference in output between guitars by turning down the sustain a little or just turning it off. On the lower sustain settings I find it still works nicely with my 57 Classics on my Les Paul. Thank you for the tip though!

I skipped the two knob and went for the four knob, still love it! I find the attack knob to be quite useful to have on top rather than inside.

It's printed in crazy tiny letters on the left and right of that attack knob on the four-knob comp - almost too small to be legible - single coil (to the left) and humbucker (to the right). I've also taken lately to dialing my clipping full clockwise, which is the stock 2-knob setting.

It is worth noting in regard to the 2 knob; the attack and clipping controls are inside! So if you were wanting to set up the two knob to play nicer with humbuckers vs single coil (turn down the attack for humbuckers); or even for instruments with louder output (turn down the clipping for humbuckers)

I primarily play an HSS strat, so I switch back and forth between humbuckers and single coil; I run the C4 near the front of my board; right after after wah, volume pedal, and fuzz.

Here is what I found about the two-knob internal trim settings: (Attack and Clipping)

http://www.robertkeeley.com/manuals/keeley_compressor.pdf
(There is a photo of the inside this .pdf of the two-knob comp showing which trim is attack and which is clipping)

Attack Control Trim:
The attack control is also set all of the way off for the fastest attack time. Turn this control up for longer/slower attack times. This is helpful for humbuckers or bass guitarists that want a very punchy tone. For the four knob compressor, the Attack Control goes from fast (Classic Keeley) to longer/slower attack times as you turn it Up. The Input Level Control Trim should be turned all of the way UP for the stock tone. Turn it Down to reduce the gain on the input of the compressor, only if you experience distortion. (Note: This is the reverse from models where the controls are internal.)

Input Level Control Trim/Clipping:
This allows you to reduce distortions that may be present when you use the Keeley Compressor with very high output humbuckers or if you use a booster before the compressor. This is also perfect for line-level instruments. From the factory it is set all of the way off (counterclockwise), which is the classic Keeley Compressor sound. Turn it up to reduce (clip) the sensitivity of the input.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom