Keeley Son of Fuzz Head

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Zeon45, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Zeon45

Zeon45 Member

2. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

Curious to hear how well this pedal plays with other non-modulated effects.

Most high-gain pedals I've owned with lower gain overdrive pedals add a boatload of noise in the circuit...perhaps a separate review of this fuzz with a low gain overdrive might be appropriate...just wondering...what do you think?

3. Franco87

Franco87 Member

4. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I love the Fuzz Head, I wonder how different the Son is, specifically?

5. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

There was a NAMM video where Robert talked about it. I forget all the changes, but one important one was moving the treble control from an internal trimmer to an external knob. A few other refinements & changes to the clipping, if I remember correctly.

6. misisipimike

misisipimike Supporting Member

I'm loving his new Psi Fuzz

7. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I'd love to have external tone control, but I'd HATE if it couldn't sound like the old fuzzhead....

8. nateco

nateco Member

I was wondering the same thing.

9. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

Here's the video I referenced:

Robert talks about it briefly (like, 20 seconds) starting around 1:12. And of course there's Andy's PGS demo:

It does sound pretty wicked, though I can't comment on how much it resembles the original. It does sound like the circuit has been reworked a bit...

10. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

The original sounds fat and smooth, very fuzz face like. This one sounds hairier and brighter. Not my preference... I wonder if the original has been discontinued?

The "big complaint" by alot of people about the Fuzz Head was what I think was it's strongest asset- it's a hybrid OD/fuzz.... it can be an all-out fuzz if you want, by cranking the internal gain trimmer, or it can be a very thick OD. I would have liked the tone control on top tho. I also liked the ability to tune the bass response by switching caps.... once I got the cap in there I wanted, and cranked the internal gain trimmer, I loved that thing.

Foolishly sold it for a Dover Drive, then a Velvet Fuzz, but something keeps making me want to pick up the ol' Fuzz Head again...

11. musica23

musica23 Member

The original has been discontinued. Keeley ran an "End of Production" edition and it looks like they're all gone.

I've been tempted by the Son of Fuzz Head, too, but after reading this, I'm thinking I'll just stick with my old red Fuzz Head.

12. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Years from now, when this version is discontinued, I hope the next version is called "The Return of the Son of Fuzz Head".

music321 likes this.
  13. marooned

marooned Member

Coolio, now my old silver fuzz head will soon have klon like status ;)

14. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I love my Fuzz Head. It's funny, I love the pedal, but not on its own, only into an OD or dirty amp. LOVE it like that.

I would also love a tone control on the outside. Having an internal one has been extremely annoying, at times.

jpagey likes this.
  15. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

If you look closely, you'll note that this one actually does say that on the case.

16. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

That's how I use mine.

17. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

After watching the demos, I think I'll stick with my old FH. Seems like the new one is meant more as a standalone fuzz...

18. NdrewC

NdrewC Member

Anyone tried this yet? Am considering between this or a Skreddy LMMD or a PTD BMGTx for my new board layout. I've only used the Skreddy LMMD which I really liked for it's most extreme settings which is a little velcro-y but still very smooth. Am kinda look for something that can do that plus a little more over-the-top fuzz too.

19. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

All three are excellent fuzzes. If you want extreme versatility go for PTD BMGTx. You can't go wrong with it...if you'll find one :).

20. NdrewC

NdrewC Member

Yea for the PTD I'll have to wait till my name is up on the list early November =/