• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Keeley Super Mod Workstation - Placement in the chain

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
This pedal is looking increasingly attractive to me, but I'm wondering how other owners are using it in their respective pedalboard chains? Delay and trem are obvious end-placement effects, but chorus/vibrato, auto wah, filter, phaser, etc vary from real early in the chain to somewhere in the middle. I'm using a Flint for reverb and trem, so I'm wondering if that redundancy kind of cancels the idea out?

FWIW, I've tried the Bubbletron and I didn't like it all that much, although it might warrant another try. The feature set of the Mod Workstation seems right, but that struggle of placement and proper use of the effects for the sounds I'm looking for is what's keeping me hesitant.

S. S. Bender

I've been lusting after the KSMW too, but have resigned myself to the fact that its placement in the chain will likely always be a compromise. At the present time, I'm not aware of any compact and inexpensive single-foot-button loop switching device that would allow it to be instantly patched in at either the front or back ends of an FX chain. However, a guy can dream I suppose... :D

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
I've decided to give this pedal a go. I'm going to be putting it after all my dirt and boost pedals right before my delay. I'm buying it primarily for the Phaser, Chorus/Vibrato, Flanger, Rotary, and Filter effects. I'm sure I'll find a use for the trems and delays, but the redudancy is still going to be there. Hopefully the effects I need will work well enough to justify it staying on my board.

Samarasa

I've decided to give this pedal a go. I'm going to be putting it after all my dirt and boost pedals right before my delay. I'm buying it primarily for the Phaser, Chorus/Vibrato, Flanger, Rotary, and Filter effects. I'm sure I'll find a use for the trems and delays, but the redudancy is still going to be there. Hopefully the effects I need will work well enough to justify it staying on my board.
Teleking, how are you liking the pedal? I'm really considering grabbing this for my tremolo and phaser needs. I have two Keeley pedals already, the Vibe-O-Verb and the Neutrino. Both are AMAZING with super musical presence and shimmer. Does the Super Mod Workstation have the same mojo?

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
I'm really digging what I'm getting out of it! I wish the Filter effect had more of a reactive type envelope filter for funky/Jerry stuff. That's the only thing I'm missing, but otherwise I love the chorus and phaser sounds, which is what I'm primarily using the pedal for. Very versatile and musical! I love Keeley stuff.

ColonelForbin

I dig this pedal as well; I've got it on my pedaltrain board in front of the amp, after everything except for a final clean boost/buffer.

It's true bypass; so my amp fx loop and this pedal don't get along well. (loud clunking sounds when switching and tap tempoing) no clunking sounds / quiet switching in front of amp, weird - I know, I don't blame the pedal! I hope they continue with this kind of pedal, perhaps explore what they might be able to fit into the newer top mount D&M and (not yet out) Caverns type enclosures. IE, two switches in a rectangular enclosure that orients vertical rather than horizontal.

That being said, this pedal has a whole lot going on! I have not yet sorted out the expression pedal input; I need to work on that. It's cool to be able to use in a pinch as a delay and reverb if not using anything in the FX loop, though the phaser and chorus and flanger type effects - anything that works post dirt - have been my main uses of it.

I've got it positioned in front of an M9 on a small riser; here's a photo for a sense of scale - it's a fairly small pedal! My feet clumsiness makes discerning which of the three switches I am stepping on! I often miss when going to tap tempo and turn on or off the middle switch..

Samarasa

I will probably have to have that deluxe Neutrino. I know a lot of people use envelope filters for the Jerry sound, and a lot of people use them for the "wakka-wakka". My guilty pleasure is using my Neutrino when playing rhythm and singing ballads and folk-esque. Lighter touch when singing and digging in during the breaths, almost like an Elton John piano accompaniment. Gives a different type of dynamic control (tonal?), and REALLY accentuates the volume dynamic range.

Thanks for the feedback on the Super Mod Workstation. Seems like a sure thing for my needs!

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
Wow! Neutrino Deluxe looks like a winner! I've been procrastinating getting a dedicated filter pedal. I really kind of need one for all the GB gigs I do, since we play a lot of funk/soul/R&B where having that kind of sound is useful, fun, and key to pulling off some material with authenticity. Neutrino, Analogman Filter, and 3Leaf Proton are all at the top of my list, but the Neutrino Deluxe will now be considered.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom