Keeley Super Phat Mod vs. Boss Waza BD-2W?

ColonelForbin

I just ordered a Keeley Super Phat Mod pedal; and unrelated, snagged a slightly discounted demo unit of the Boss Waza chorus from Sweetwater. However, in looking at the other Waza pedals, I see they did a variation on the BD-2 that looks very similar to the mods Keeley has been doing for quite some time, that are now part of the new 'Super Phat Mod' pedal.. I'd be curious to hear a comparison between the Super Phat and the Waza BD-2W!

I'm thinking the flat/phat switch is basically what Boss/Waza are calling the 'switchable custom voice' toggle switch? For what it's worth; here are some videos of each pedal, and a comparison between the Keeley modded BD-2 and the stock BD-2

ColonelForbin

I'm guessing another favorable comparison for the Super Phat, would be to the Timmy.. I've got two boards going; the crazy stupid big heavy ongoing pedalboard project, and the grab-and-go lightweight board. At the moment the Timmy is on the little board, and I can run it at 18v if I want. Inclined to leave it on that board, and put the Super Phat on the big board. Another option I'm considering is put the Timmy and the Super Phat on the big board, and move the OCD to the little board; would run the OCD at 18v on either board. Saw a recent but of advice someone says they like the OCD as a boost pedal rather than as a primary dirt; thinking I might give that a try!

I'm curious to compare the Timmy at 18v to the OCD at 18v, both set as 'boost' pedals.. (Super Phat only runs at 9v)

Sleepthieves

I was excited to see someone else was on this quest as well and had actually done quality work of putting together some of the best videos for it. Then I was even more surprised to see you are taking the same approach as me, having "the crazy stupid big heavy ongoing pedalboard project, and the grab-and-go lightweight board".

Hopefully one day someone with both can do a comparison.

Kdogg

I'm interested in this topic as well. Just purchased the Phat Mod from Sweetwater for $129. Musicians Friend had that price online for a couple days, and Sweetwater matched. Musicians Friend has since gone back up to $149.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I own a Keeley BD2... Will never sell it. I've wanted to buy a used Super Phat mod to A/B them but never got around to it.

Watching this thread. :aok

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Another BD2 mod worth looking into is the Fromel one. takes the mush out of the low end and makes it a much livelier and more dynamic pedal. The mod is $20 if you can do it yourself so it's stupid cheap. I played it next to a stock Waza one and the keeley one and the Fromel was by far the best sounding of the three. (the demos on their site are awful btw.)

Kdogg

my favorite bd-2w demo is actually this neunaber immerse/mxr reverb comparison. it kicks in at 2:00 and unnnfffffff

That bd-2w sounds pretty rad when they kick it in. The MXR really sounded good too, but still thought the neunaber sounded a bit more polished.

radioboyeric

I'm interested in this one as well. I recently was looking into both of them.
Also, looking at the Timmy...Damnit! It never ends!

Tele81

I’ve had both. I’d take the super phat mod over the bd-2w. I feel like the waza was a harsher and a little hard sounding in comparison. The super phat mod was a little smoother\warmer and felt better. Of course the difference wasn’t massive and one could shine over the other with a different rig.

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve had both also, the Keeley Phat Mod definitely sounded better...more useable range and not as harsh/strident as the Waza.

JackedEagle

I'm interested in this one as well. I recently was looking into both of them.
Also, looking at the Timmy...Damnit! It never ends!
Is the Timmy supposed to be comparable to the BD-2? I was also wondering if the the Nobels ODR-1 is supposed to be kind of like a Blues Driver, or is it just its own thing?

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
Is the Timmy supposed to be comparable to the BD-2? I was also wondering if the the Nobels ODR-1 is supposed to be kind of like a Blues Driver, or is it just its own thing?

The nobels is it’s own animal... big bottom end with a mid hump. I’ve heard it compared to TS styles but the gain texture and compression felt and sounded very different to me. Definitely not in the bd2 camp imo

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
Would you say that the Phat Mod also works better than the Waza for shaping clean tones?
I’ve never used it much for that application, I usually use it for low to mid gain tones...for shaping cleans I sometimes use a Timmy or Parametric EQ.

Does anybody know if the BD2, the BD2w and the Keeley Super Phat use the same IC type?
There are no IC's in the audio path of the BD-2W. And the IC in the standard BD-2 (and I presume also the Keeley Super Phat Mod) isn't doing much compared to the chips in most other drives, so its impact on the sound is fairly insignificant.

Last edited:

JackedEagle

I’ve had both. I’d take the super phat mod over the bd-2w. I feel like the waza was a harsher and a little hard sounding in comparison. The super phat mod was a little smoother\warmer and felt better. Of course the difference wasn’t massive and one could shine over the other with a different rig.
Is the custom mode on the Waza similar to the phat mode on the Keeley? Do they both just add low end to help beef up single coils?

taoski

Silver Supporting Member
There was another thread up here recently and someone post a really good A/B video (used a looper for consistent sounds!). I couldn't hear any difference between the SMP and the BD2w, in either of their corresponding modes (comparing normal-normal, phat-custom). The person who made the video couldn't either. I don't doubt there is a sonic difference perceptible to some people, but pretty minor at best. My take is decide if you want a buffer or TB, and if you want blue or gold. I have a SPM fwiw.

Trending Topics