Keeley Synth-1 vs EHX Mono Synth

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RMosack, May 17, 2019.

1. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

Which one?
    Why?

2. RMosack

3. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

Patience is a virtue.

4. chriselkjar

chriselkjar Member

Let's start this one over again: I want to get into a synth pedal. Seems like Keeley and EHX both have pretty interesting options right now. Am I best going with one of these vs. picking up an actual monosynth? Anyone have experience with the Synth1 or the EHX?

Hari Seldon likes this.
  5. Eldritch Tentacles

Eldritch Tentacles Member

They both vaguely fit into what people might consider or perceive as a “synth pedal” but they don’t actually do it the same way. Not really apples to apples.

You might want to check out the thread here on the C4 pedal from Source Audio that’s going to be available soon. It’ll easily do what either of these pedals do and a whole lot more.

aisling likes this.
  6. RMosack

Ha ha! I definitely write shorter, lazier posts using my phone vs computer. I guess I figured people got the point. You certainly did!!! Plus, why make people read long posts?

Anyway, yes. I'm curious about these two pedals. It seems two manufacturers released sort of similar pedals almost simultaneously. I wonder what would be the pros and cons of one vs the other.

More background: I've been pondering a bunch of other options for getting a variety of tones. The entire EHX 9 series seems interesting. The Boss SY-300 looks really cool, but I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle the size, expense and learning curve of that beast.

So that brings me here. Wondering about the new "simpler" synth pedals from Keeley and EHX.

Silver Hand likes this.
  7. RMosack

True. As is having a post on page one. I waited a day and bumped to bring it back.

Silver Hand likes this.
  8. aisling

aisling Silver Supporting Member

If cost isn't a discriminating factor, I'd be seriously thinking meris Enzo and source audio C4.

Not Orange and RMosack like this.
  9. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

Maybe people get the point but see no reason to answer to such an rude question.
    Wanna get an answer?
    Ask in a way so that people like to answer. Advice is a voluntary here.

10. RMosack

At this point, there are two rude posts in this thread...

11. RMosack

Thank you, I'll check both out.

12. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Sorry to derail, but can any of these new synth pedals do what the EHX 9 series does? I’d love to have a great sounding pedal, with great racking, that can do a convincing Farfisa or Vox Jaguar.

I know almost nothing about actual synths.

Silver Hand likes this.
  13. RMosack

I know almost nothing about them as well. But I don’t think any of these do what those 9 series do. I could be wrong, but those seem almost like highly tweaked POG or HOG-based units.

dhdfoster likes this.
  14. RMosack

Bumping this one after a month or so. I hope somebody has been able to at least try both pedals and can offer some insight.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Silver Hand likes this.
  15. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

OMG, calm down OP!

ChampReverb likes this.
  16. HughesP

HughesP Member

I haven't gotten to try the new EHX one, but I'm assuming it's somewhat similar to the older 9 series pedals, but monophonic.

If that's the case, the EHX will feel really different tracking wise. I get the sense the Keeley tracks better.

The EHX has a bunch of dialed in sounds, and gets you to sounds faster. The Keeley is more like a real analog synth, and you have to sort of create/dial things in.

Check out this comparison video:

Holzar88 and RMosack like this.
  17. Strat_lover

Strat_lover Member

I haven’t not played either, but have read plenty about both, looking from a bass perspective. Here’s what I’ve gathered. YMMV.

The Keeley is not a synth simulation, but an analog pedal with drive and filter characteristics that can sound synth like. These are a good option in that there is no tracking issues and sound very cool, but they are fairly limited in the range of sounds they can emulate, as you’re fairly limited by the analog circuits. I currently, for bass, use an Ibanez SB7 Bass Synth which accomplishes synth sounds in a similar fashion. It’s not perfect, but I like the dynamic response the analog circuits give me, and use it very sparingly.

Oddly enough, the EHX is more “traditional” synth digital emulation, like the Boss SYB series stuff and the famous Deep Impact. The EHX gives you many different synth emulations, control over different parameters, and the ability to save presets per synth type. All reviews and sound clips I’ve heard have been positive, the only complaint I’ve seen has been the tracking. If the input doesn’t see a clean clear strong note coming in, it apparently can glitch around and get confused. If you are a strong player it shouldn’t be much of an issue, but from what I’ve read beginning to intermediate players would probably struggle with it.

Hope this helps!

Not Orange, Holzar88 and RMosack like this.
  18. RMosack

Thanks for the responses. The video was especially helpful.

Baskervils likes this.
  19. Baskervils

Baskervils Member

I have played both. The Keeley reminds me of an older synth pedal. It's a bit like an EHX Micro Synth from the 90s. It feels very experimental but also like a novelty pedal. I had difficulty getting something musical out of it right away. It felt like a squeaky & squawky old Moog. With time in a chain of things, I am sure that it would be interesting. Like the Micro Synth, it seems like the kind of thing that I would need to be patient with.

Both the EHX Mono Synth and the Synth9 (I have two) are very easy to use. It feels like you play with the knobs and you have a very useful, musical sound VERY quickly. In fact, the Mono Synth saved my ass a few days ago when I had a fairly boring chorused guitar sound. I ran everything through the Mono Synth and a series of other pedals and got something great.

I am a huge fan of the modern EHX synth and 9 pedals. I would never sell any of them.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Silver Hand and Holzar88 like this.
  20. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

There's also the Seymour Duncan Fooz that I highly recommend.

Mincer likes this.