Keeley TS9 vs. AnalogMan TS9 - what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rogerramjett, Mar 6, 2008.

1. rogerramjett

rogerramjett Supporting Member

I'm looking to pick up a pedal for the #1 position in my drive stack. I know I'm going to have an OCD for my most saturated sound but I'm looking for that #1 position, light drive, rhythm tone.

Can anyone lay out for me the difference between the Analogman and Keeley TS9 mods?

I'm also considering a Keeley Sparkle Drive for the #1 position.

I had a buddy who said he loved his Fulldrive but it didn't stack well. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the mad wisdom!

2. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Ive heard the analogman silver mod 808 was a tad better.. but the Keely modded DS-1 Kills the analogman IMHO.

3. thewex

thewex Member

might the silver be a little more gain for a #1? i think the sparkle drive is a good #1. i dont have the keeley mod though. i hear that makes it great.

4. jacstraw84

jacstraw84 Member

I don't know about the analogman ts9...but I just got the keeley ts9 mod plus and it sounds great. I'm also using it as my lightest OD for mainly chord work.

5. rogerramjett

BluesHarp - are you saying that the Keeley DS-1 is better than the Analogman TS9 ???

Thasnkf or the feedback guys - any other users out there?

6. hacker

hacker Member

For low OD settings, I think the Keeley and AM are about the same. I like the SparkleDrive alot for low OD, but my current favorite is the Barber LTD. Not as mid-humpy as the TS9, and the high-end sizzle and range of tones are the clinchers. This pedal can be almost completely transparent, or it can thicken up your tone to a nice growl.

7. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Yea... I meant that the AM ts9 was better than the keely version ts-9. IMHO The MJM Blues Devil was awesome and is a fav round here.

The Keeley DS-1 is mo beda than the the AM ds-1 in my opinion. I just threw in this info on modded ds-1's for shytes and giglers.

8. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

The Fulldrive stacks great, and would be a great complimentary drive for the OCD, they work very well together. Plus the Fulldrive is very versatile!

I am one to not care for the Sparkle Drive, I don't like the fizz riding the clean, it sounds and feels wronge to me, plus the switches ahave not been very reliable.

I like Keeleys pedals, and like his customer service as well, and he has a good ear for tone.
    Best Regards!

9. giggedy

giggedy Member

the silver has less gain than a stock st9, fyi

10. rogerramjett

11. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

12. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

First off, thanks for all the effort but with a camcorder mic, youtube's audiophile quality audio and my pc speakers, I could tell no difference.

Or was that the point?

13. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

:AOK 100%. I'm not sure what people are hearing with the Sparkle Drive that they like right out of the box. I don't know about any modded versions, but the stock one is seriously not happening for me.

I would point you towards an LTD or Timmy. Either is great for that. Talk to Bob at tpngear.com to find out which of the many vers of the LTD would be best for your needs. With Dave's custom shop, you can now get a bunch of different options. The price is also much less than most custom pedals.

14. rogerramjett

elroostars - thanks for the video and the effort but I also couldn't tell the difference, thanks to YouTube's bad audio! It also left me wondering about how great the Analogman Maxon OD-9 would be...

GTRJohnny - thanks for making a SOLID statement about the Sparkle Drive! I really appreciate it and will look into the LTD's. The price is definitely right. I firmly beleive that modding shoudl be about making a good pedal great - not a crappy pedal good!

So I guess you have to wait forever to buy a new Timmy and order it yourself. I see them on TGP all the time but would like to know what price is a rip-off and what price is a deal?

15. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Ive had the Keeley modded sparkle drive before, and the analogman kot did a better sound for me. I then replaced the KOT with a MJM Blues Devil because it did the classic ts-9 SRV sound a bit better and I didnt like the heavier 2nd side of the KOT compared to another pedal I had. ( KOT is very killer though.. I want another ) The MJM BD didnt have enough low end so I bought the Burst Eternity and have been looking for something better ever since, but so far to no avail.

In my opinion, the OD9 pro+ sounds better than the keeley or AM ts-9's. ( from the above clips ) but I have heard some killer things about the maxon 820. Internal voltage at 18 volts and other stuff. If I were to buy another one right now, it would be the BJF LGW... and then after that, the maxon 820.

16. rogerramjett

Does anybody know where I can buy a Keeley TS-9 that has the dual-channel mod (side-knob and extra footswitch)? I know for a fact that he makes them...