Keely DL4?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Isaiah4Autumn, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

Anybody done an A/B test with a stock version? Anyone have any soundclips or video files out there? I have the stock DL4 and I am trying to decide to either keep it stock or mod it thanks....

2. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

I have both a stock DL-4 and a Keeley DL-4 at my house at the moment. Mine is the stock one, and the Keeley is a friend's...and honestly, the Keeley is much better in all respects. The Keeley fixes the volume drop issue, and beyond that, sounds much better. I don't have clips, etc, but it's a much better pedal. I've had my stock one for years, and I think it's great, but I believe what Keeley is doing is refining the shortcomings of the pedal. In short, it's more full, and has a sweeter tone to it. I'll be getting mine modded at some point.

3. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Does he replace the stock cheaper footswiches as part of his mods? I was curious because I gig pretty heavy and have had to send a number of them for service. I may email and ask if he can do this (if it is not partof his mod). Thanks!

4. mcflymcflymcfly

mcflymcflymcfly Member

Now the question is..

Does he change the red lights out and put blue ones in :phones

5. Craise

Craise Member

No, this isn't part of the mod. I don't think you can replace the footswitches..because they are way different than regular switches...the DL-4 switches just push down on little pads that are on the circuitboard, that inturn do the switching..I would think you would have to do some major major modding to get real switches in there..if it can even be done.
    If the switches go bad..there is a little spring inside each switch...these are mostly what go bad. You can streach them out a bit yourself..or ask Line 6 to send you new ones, they aren't that hard to replace.
    :AOK

6. donnyrocker

donnyrocker Member

Why yes, yes he does! ;)

7. guitarchris

guitarchris Member

I have changed the footswitches in mine to carling switches that should last as long as the pedal. this replaces Line 6's total switching system. MUCH BETTER!

8. Veritas

Veritas Silver Supporting Member

It does have the blue LED's...haha. A nice touch, I may add.

9. Craise

Craise Member

How did you do this??? Please tell!
    :D

10. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I actually don't care for the DL4 in its volume dropping and tone sucking stock form,
    But,
    I do like the "crazy & spacey" effects it can pull off.
    So,
    I've got a Keeley DL4 on the way and I hope its does just as advertised.

11. Jumbo Fuzz

Jumbo Fuzz Member

Please post your impressions after you have spent some time with it.

I bought a DL-4 right when they first came out. I have a similar love/hate relationship with it. I have considered doing the Keeley Mod, but I have planned on getting a Timefactor at some point this year…so I am torn on whether to even do the mod. For a long time, I even considered upgrading to the Echo Pro.

One of my biggest beefs with the DL-4, is I do not like what it does to a dirty sound. For example, if I run my Swollen Pickle into it, there is a gloss that happens to the tone that just kills it.

12. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

he should come out with a DD20 mod. just sayin.

13. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Yes, please tell us how you did this.

I am thinking of "downgrading" from my Timefactor. It's just too digital sounding.

14. Craise

Craise Member

Crazy thing is the DL-4 came out in 97?98? You would think 10 years on we would have an upgraded version!
    We have the echo park..but I want a upgraded DL-4!
    The main reason I still use mine is for the sweep echo and the volume swell settings. I use these setting a lot and they are basically only found on the DL-4 and Echo Park.
    Come on line 6! 10 years on let's have an updated version!
    BTW if you search around you can find exactly what the keeley mods are, George trips posted them in one of the forums, if memory serves...
    :)

15. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

In a perfect world Line 6 would come out with a new version that's smaller, has an LED screen, presets like the timefactor, and improved TB switches and reliability.

16. Mincer

Mincer Member

i like that the DL-4 can be set to 'non true bypass' so the delays trail off...that sounds a lot better to my ears.
    i have had my DL4 since the first year, and it had a few switches go bad...and recently just replaced the whole PC board making it a whole new pedal.
    however, we probably won't see a 'DL-4 2.0' though- I have boss pedals that are 20 years old that have been dropped, stomped and in the rain, and they still work fine.

17. kidamathias

kidamathias Member

Blue LED's!

Right thats it! i'm getting the Mod done!

18. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

still no sound clips eh?

19. Jumbo Fuzz

Jumbo Fuzz Member

Any thoughts yet?

20. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

A buddy of mine borrowed my DL4 while his was with Keeley. Naturally I was interested to hear the difference. Well, it definitly fixed the volume drop which was nice but this is only on certain models (SS Echoplex for instance). The other main issue it's supposed to fix was a noise issue, but I can't speak to this cause I've never really noticed noise issues with mine.

But here's the most important part. Although I didn't A/B it with mine, (cause I didn't have to) it still had the same *tone*. I too wish Line 6 would update the DL4 to the *tone* of the Echopark. There is a BIG difference between the Echopark and the DL4... I reiterate, it's not subtle. The Tape delay on the Echopark has a much more realistic sound to it, where the DL4's tape setting has this bright, phasey fake quality to it. I concure that the DL4 sounds great compared to many other delays and its feature set is awesome. But there are definitly better sounding delays out there and it's just funny that one of them is their own model.