Keely effects and mods

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BigBone, Oct 2, 2006.

1. BigBone

BigBone Member

I'm looking for anyone who has used keelys compressor and modded TS9.
    also how where they to deal with?

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Tons of people here have. They are known for their great customer service. Anything specific you want to know?

3. BigBone

BigBone Member

Im wondering if it really does what his web site says it does. At $370 I want to make sure that I'll be able to walk on water :)

4. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I've owned 3 or 4 of his compressors, several TS-9s, and several other effects of his. Honestly it will all depend on the sound you are after. Here is my advice: Buy used. Keep an eye on the emporium and grab a used TS-9 mod plus and Compressor. If you bargain with people or wait for the right deal you can get a TS-9 for around $100 shipped and a compressor for around $150 shipped. That way if they don't work for you you can turn around and sell them for what you paid! Also if you really want to buy new Keeley has a great return policy. It's really a no lose situation. :)

5. g-nem

g-nem Member

If you already have a ts9 his mod is really a good deal- customer service was great in my experience. He's the real deal- whether you want to spend the money, his stuff is as high quality as analogman or any other boutique guy out there IMO- but that doesn't mean it will work in your setup neccesarily. YMMV.

FWIW I think I'd get a mini bicomp before a keeley compressor, but that;s more due to size than sound.

6. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Regardless of what and from whom you buy - be prepared to swim.

Not until someone releases that TALENT box often joked of will any piece of kit alow you to walk on water.

7. IluvRock&Roll

IluvRock&Roll Member

Sounds crazy I know; but I just sold a Keeley 4-knob comp. ($200) here and bought a Maxon CP 101. I loved the Keeley, but to my ears, the Maxon did what I wanted in a Comp. So I sold the expensive one, bought the lesser expensive one and now have $100.00 to look around in the Forum with.

PS - I've owned a Maxon CP 101 before so I know what it is.

I've owned also both Keeley's and Analogmans TS -9's and their 808's; great pedals but I just decided to go with the OCD for my OD needs.

R&Roll!

8. Luke V

Luke V Member

Love the TS9 with +mod. Cleans up great, nice mid bump.

9. Ross Kingston

Ross Kingston Member

I love my keeley compressor, less crazy about the TS9 but ODs go in and out of favour from week to week. His 5-star modded SD-1 is my favourite OD at present. Robert has always been a pleasure to deal with.
    Ross

10. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Don't forget his RAT mod (if you are looking for a modded dirt box) - it's killer!

11. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

I have the 2 knob Keeley Comp and love it! Sounds great on guitar and bass. Easy, easy, easy to use and find a sound you like.

12. madsr

madsr Member

I have both the ts9 mod plus and the 2 knob compressor with the internal trim .. both are fantastic pedals IMO..the mod plus I A/B'd with the TS808 keeley modded true bypass pedal(this pedal is $100 more).. they are identical..couldn't tell the difference..so save yourself the $100 and get the mod plus ts9($149 brand new or used for less) the compressor is fantastic, I used to use 2 boss compressors stacked but the keeley comp is much better as far as compression/sustain/less noise and True Bypass.

13. codeorama

codeorama Member

I have the Keeley compressor and it is fabulous. Low noise.

I leave it on all the time. I love it.

Also have a Keeley Blues Driver and it's my one keeper above all others.

14. madsr

madsr Member

+1
    100% agreed on that.

15. el34power

el34power Member

One thing is that. For me. Robert was the first that "I" found that did this. So i went ahead and got a Compressor, SD-1, DS1, BD-2, TS9 baked. I sold everything exept the BD-2. The only reason is that i didn't need them (damn gas).
    Thus being said. It has always been a pleasure to exchange emails with Robert and his crew. Always ready to help, prompt shippments and so on.
    But now, there are a lot of people that do this type of work. And you can get a Ross comp, TS808 clones at many different places....

like here. http://goudiefx.com/compressor.php

and here http://www.geocities.com/solid_gold_soundlabs/pedals.html