Keep VW golf tdi or sell for different Daily Driver??

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Kluch, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Kluch

Kluch Member

For the past couple of months I've debated back and forth whether I should sell my beloved VW golf TDI and buy a different daily driver or keep the car as long as I can. A couple of things have prompted this question in my mind...

1) My wife and I have our first baby on the way and when I purchased the car almost 6 months ago that wasn't in the picture. This is my 2 door daily driver so it's only really practical for my wife and I, and even though she'll be taking the little guy most of the time, having 4 doors will be nice.
    2) My insurance premiums have definitely taken a hit (since my previous civic) and maintenance costs have gone up as well, as evidenced since I did the 40k service myself and the parts alone weren't cheap.
    3) Maybe one of the biggest reasons I've thought about this was over thanksgiving I had a pickup truck hit me on the highway putting the golf in a body shop for about a month in a half. Even though there was no (immediate mechanical damage) about $12,000 was poured into body damages and suspension damages (paid by my insurance). Even though this car has been absolutely trouble free (no recalls, no problems ever) and babied from it's previous owner, after that accident I'm worried about the longevity of things going wrong in the future. Maybe I'm just anxious since previously I was a diehard Honda guy lol.

The car itself is a hoot to drive though, and even though I hate paying for diesel at the pump the extra torque of the diesel engine has me hooked. It's by far the nicest car I've ever owned, optioned out with everything you could think of, even with leather seats you can't get in other golfs.
    Still, I've looked at everything from a Honda fit (more practical, still fun me thinks), to Honda civic si, to ford fiesta st and many other cars in between.
    The one thing I am worried about is even though the car is now in immaculate shape post body shop (new wheels, tires, body panels, everything), it still is going to have that accident on it's record and on it's carfax. I'm wondering if that will cause it's value to drop a whole lot and not give me as much bang for my buck if I sell it (I've still got a partial loan to pay off).
    Any thoughts from my gear page brothers?

2. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

When my wife and I hard our baby, she had a sedan and I had my coupe. It was semi-inconvenient because we always had to take her car when travelling as a family, so there is that.

As far as longevity goes, the TDI is pretty tough to beat by a gasoline engine- and if they did the repairs correctly, you don't have to worry about anything there.

3. Kluch

Kluch Member

I agree. The TDI is a highway road warrior, but my daily drive to work is generally 15-20 mins, meaning I don't get the full advantage of the diesel engine, especially in the winter.

4. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

Trade in for 4 door Golf? Look at the Jetta too. The trunk is pretty roomy for strollers and what not. I have a '13 GLI and I love it. The 14 has better gas mileage though

[​IMG]

5. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

If you can hang tight, the 4MOTION TDI SportWagen is coming.

6. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

If you want bulletproof efficiency you can't go wrong with a Prius.

7. Kluch

Kluch Member

I have definitely considered this option. I'm definitely in favor of the golf though. I love a good hatch instead of a sedan/trunk.

Even though I am a hatch guy, I'm not sure I would go for the sportwagen... I like the smaller form factor if possible.

8. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

At this point you probably don't appreciate how much crap comes along with a baby. You're going to learn to love cargo space.

9. Kluch

Kluch Member

lol, not sure I would go as far as a prius... plus I still love my manual transmission, going to an auto would be a tough step for me.

10. Doodad

Doodad Member

Having just bought a Golf I am biased. But, two door small car is not going to work I can tell you that now. I was always amazed how full our car was just to go for a weekend trip, much less beach or other location.

11. Kluch

Kluch Member

I agree, I think I can hold onto it for another year maybe, but I think as time goes on it will be more practical (at some point) to get something with 4 doors. It's a pity because it's really a nice car, especially for road trips (which my wife and I do every couple of months). Honestly, I think something small but roomy like a Honda fit would be great for a daily driver, since my trek to work is only 20mins, but the lack of highway power (for longer trips), makes me weary of it.

12. Doodad

Doodad Member

I bought my daughter a Fit last year. It serves her very well. As she put it, good car just not stylish. She really liked the Golf. I vote for the Sportwagen as well. Your wife will be voting minivan.

13. Kluch

Kluch Member

We're actually probably gonna get her a small suv soon (CRV, Rav4)... she says no minivans till we have more kids... which I'm hoping won't be for a while :messedup

14. Doodad

Doodad Member

We went small SUV as well, Mazda Tribute. Going to the beach for the week with our daughter and a friend along we had to go onto the roof every year.

15. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

When I was younger I wanted cool cars. I had a Mustang GT, a Thunderbird Super Coupe, a Golf GTI VR6 and a Lexus GS430. Then somehow I got practical and didn't care anymore so I have a Honda Element for band gear and a fancy Prius for daily work commuting. On very cold times I might only get 44 mpg but during mild weather I can get up to an average of 52 mpg. I look at it like I'm giving the oil companies the #1 sign. Besides that at 81K miles the Prius has not had one unscheduled trip to the dealer!
    To be honest, I always wanted a TDI VW!

16. Kluch

Kluch Member

Ya, see I'm trying to ride the line between fun and practical. You know... trying to be the "cool dad" :cool: :aok

17. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry