Keeping It Cool - inspired by Larry Carlton

journo

This tune started with the bass. I had just received the Atomic Amps Bass Box and I really liked this sound I got so I figured I'd just write a tune where I could play it.
As most of those who've heard more than a few of my tunes know I tend to gravitate towards the smooth jazz/pop style of the late 80s and early 90s. One of my major influences was Larry Carlton and I think that's quite evident in this tune.

Hope you'll like it!

Cheers,

Mats N

TL;DR

Well Mr Mats, the LC tone and feel definitely comes through. Great phrasing and playing
:beer

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Not just LC. If you had told me this was a Fourplay track I would have believed Bob James was playing keys and Nathan East was on bass.

Solid work, and an enjoyable track for us smooth jazz fans.

euphoria2k12

Great!Coming from a big Larry Carlton fan
this was freaking AWESOME!Stellar musicianship there.Really enjoyed that!

lon

Loved the composition. Soloing on the second section was great! very LC

Mats- How did you get your sound? what amp/sim etc did you use?

Again, loved it.

Last edited:

journo

Not just LC. If you had told me this was a Fourplay track I would have believed Bob James was playing keys and Nathan East was on bass.

Solid work, and an enjoyable track for us smooth jazz fans.
Thanks Derek!
It's funny how the gear I get pull out my influences in my playing and not only for guitar.
I got the Spectrasonics Keyscape and the LA Custom Rhodes I used in this track is so rewarding to play.
The same with the bass. I used to have a modern style 5-string bass and that did absolutely nothing for me in the inspiration department. So when I got the very inexpensive 4-string SIre V7 and the Bass Box and the Boss GT-1B, it made me want to play bass all the time and I started to listen really carefully to bass players and, yes, Nathan East is one of them. :D
Life is good!

Cheers,

Mats N

journo

Great!Coming from a big Larry Carlton fan
this was freaking AWESOME!Stellar musicianship there.Really enjoyed that!
Hi Euphoria,

Thanks for lending me your discerning ear. I'm also a huge Carlton fan so you your comment resonates with me. So happy you like it!
Seems like however much I stretch out in other directions, I always come back to this style.

Cheers,

Mats N

journo

Loved the composition. Soloing on the second section was great! very LC

Mats- How did you get your sound? what amp/sim etc did you use?

Again, loved it.
Hi Ion,

Thanks for your positive words!
Guitar was a Collings I-35LC with the stock Lollar pickups.
I recorded it using the Kemper direct to my soundcard.
The profile I used for the melody and second solo is one of my own profiles from my D-style ODS Rig Pack. This profile is VERY responsive to but picking dynamics and the kind of volume pedal changes LC does to change the gain sturcture in real time when I plays. I love doing that as well.
The profiles for the first solo is a Dumble profile I got from Michael Britt when I helped beta test his Dumble Pack. However, I don't think this profile made it into his final pack.
Delay and reverb added in the final mixdown session.
Recorded it in PreSonus Studio One.

Cheers,

Mats N

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Silver Supporting Member
Love the rhythm backing track, that epiano tone is awesome. Nice soloing, nice ear catching phrases that were never predictable. Very cool. Love the bass tone, people underestimate what it takes to get a great bass sound in the mix, but this is it!

journo

Love the rhythm backing track, that epiano tone is awesome. Nice soloing, nice ear catching phrases that were never predictable. Very cool. Love the bass tone, people underestimate what it takes to get a great bass sound in the mix, but this is it!
Hi SC59!

Thanks for your very kind words. The Atomic Amps Bass Box is a really fine unit.

Cheers,

Mats N

Trending Topics