Keeping Schaller Strap Locks on the Strap?

8len8

SteveO

First, make sure that the hole in the strap is big enough for the threads on the strap lock to slide through cleanly. Second, a couple drops of Loctite blue and tightening it securely with a wrench or socket will keep things in place for a good long time. I have a Levi's strap that I installed Schallers on in 1995, and it's still rock solid.

pipedwho

+1 on the socket wrench. The socket head spins smoothly giving you much more torque (and therefore more turns), where a regular spanner/wrench doesn't give you the control without biting into the leather. A drop of super glue or Loktite will assist in keeping it from working its way loose.

But, with Schallers you must be forever vigilant and check the nut before each gig. If it comes loose, your guitar falls. There's nothing left in place to hold the strap to the guitar.

8len8

+1 on the socket wrench. The socket head spins smoothly giving you much more torque (and therefore more turns), where a regular spanner/wrench doesn't give you the control without biting into the leather. A drop of super glue or Loktite will assist in keeping it from working its way loose.

But, with Schallers you must be forever vigilant and check the nut before each gig. If it comes loose, your guitar falls. There's nothing left in place to hold the strap to the guitar.
I had one come off mid-song on stage last year at a gig. While I was able to keep the guitar from falling, it sucked to have to play with one knee on the floor for the rest of the song.

GtrGeorge!

Wish I could be more helpful but... I just always pick straps that pair REALLY well with my straplock system. If it doesnt jove right away..its not for me. Turns out I'm quite happy with 10 dollar straps that are black and non-descript. Thin enough,strong enough and no unnescessary stuff...keep the focus on the music. I never understood people making straps so thick it was a hassle to use straplocks.

As mentioned, just 2 things:

1. when installing the strap-lock, make sure you enlarge the hole on the straps by cutting some material out.

2. tighten by using socket wrench.

it works extremely well with all the straps I have used so far (currently Couch straps on all my electrics).

If you don't have locktite handy, but have females in your house, you can install the strap lock (use a socket), then put a dab of nail polish across the thread and nut to lock it in place. Old trick.

jb4674

I've never used locktite on my Schallers and I have several straps with them installed that have never loosen up in a span of 16+ years....

As others have pointed out, you have to enlarge the hole of the strap a bit and then use a combination of pliers and a socket wrench to tighten the straplock to the strap.

Multicellular

First, make sure that the hole in the strap is big enough for the threads on the strap lock to slide through cleanly. Second, a couple drops of Loctite blue and tightening it securely with a wrench or socket will keep things in place for a good long time. I have a Levi's strap that I installed Schallers on in 1995, and it's still rock solid.

+1 on the loctite

I also had one strap where the leather was really thick and I got a Dremel out and sanded it down a bit.

8len8

Wish I could be more helpful but... I just always pick straps that pair REALLY well with my straplock system. If it doesnt jove right away..its not for me. Turns out I'm quite happy with 10 dollar straps that are black and non-descript. Thin enough,strong enough and no unnescessary stuff...keep the focus on the music. I never understood people making straps so thick it was a hassle to use straplocks.
I used to be a $10 strap guy too, but these Levy's straps are great. They're more comfortable, and stretch a little.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom