Keeping your analog pedalboard and going direct to PA.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by The Rocket, Jan 12, 2020.

1. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Hello guys,
    I need your experience and your advice.

I'd like to keep my analog pedalboard and going direct to the PA. What is the best option tonewise in your opinion?
    My rig is quite simple and "old style". I think I just need a very good amp-sim as a pedal platform...my biggest concern is TONE and I'd like to keep as much feel a realism as possible.

So far I'm looking to:
    1) Iridium
    2) Ampli-Firebox
    3) Simplifier
    4) the unreleased Carl Martin Ampster...
    5) Radial JDX Direct Drive

Do you have other or better suggestions? Any comment would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Frank67

Frank67 Member

I am doing just that. I have had good results with a Tube Preamp pedal (Either a Kingsley Maiden D, a Reussenzehn Blackface or an AMT SS-11A) into a Torpedo C.A.B. or a Mooer Radar into the PA. Works flawlessly for me with nice tone, tube feel and minimal noise or weight.

I bet that the Iridium is also very nice and even easier to work with as a one stop solution. I also had good results with the Kemper I just like the simplicity of having just a few Amp like knobs and then my pedals that I can adjust on the fly.

creative360, Crowder and The Rocket like this.
  3. Ejay

Ejay Member

If you plan to use different presets...I’d say that having a global eq is a requirement. You want to be able to compensate all your sounds at one go depending on the situation. When u just use one amp and pedals for the rest..a tonestack with actual knobs would be convinient.

amplifire box is fine direct when u use just one sound. But using/storing presets is a total mess. Also I think the amp sounds are way to bright, and cabs to dark. Resulting in an ok direct sound, but if you want to use it hybrid, so amp on stage, direct signal to foh...didn’t work for me.

I like what I hear on youtube of the iridium.

I was pleasantly surprised by the mooer ge150..I gig the little bugger going into returns of amps..sounds fine...direct signal ok so far.
    If you want a device where u use presets...I’d check the 250, has global eq, and very practical I/O, seperate volume for stage / foh.

Guitardave and The Rocket like this.
  4. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

If you want simple with great tone then I’d choose the Iridium. I don’t know anything about #3-5 but used an AFB for quite some time, and it really needed to be hooked up to a computer to get the most out of it and get it sounding like I wanted.

dmock66 and The Rocket like this.
  5. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Thank you very much guys!
    I appreciate it.

As I said, I think I will need just one great amp-sim sound as pedal platform...
    Maybe I could give my old Tech 21 Sansamp Gt2 a try?

6. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

Current amp sims with IR will beat “Cab Sims”

7. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Torpedo Cab M with any kind of distortion pedal you like. It works great!

mxk116, The Rocket and AuntieDiluvian like this.
  8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

My choice! Super quick testing of Strymon and HXFX

9. KramerPacerCarreraGuy

KramerPacerCarreraGuy Member

a surprising option is the Mooer GE150 for $131 shipped on ebay.

or get a Kemper for the best TONE

The Rocket likes this.
  10. crazymauler

crazymauler Member

I'm doing that with the Iridium and it's really great, outstanding tone and such a simple and easy solution.

The Rocket and Crowder like this.
  11. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

To YOU.

There are many guys out there still using GT2’s, Flyrigs, and Character pedals who apparently, missed that “fact”.

johann likes this.
  12. John Mark Painter

John Mark Painter Member

I didn't say you can't still use old Tech.
    But no, they don't sound as good.

rockapede and kdm1218 like this.
  13. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

What sort of amp are you using now? If it's a Fender style I've had great success with the Stomp, Firebox, Kemper, Axe III and now the Mooer GE-150. I'd say pick the one that's a good form factor/functionality for your board - I highly doubt you'll be disappointed as the general quality level is great.

I actually just finished rebuilding my gig board using the Mooer. It's all battery powered and light. And I can use it direct and a power amp/cab at the same time! Or run it with regular combo amp. I like the flexibility...trying to run fully direct all the time has proved really frustrating in situations where the PA monitor quality was lacking. Unless you choose the Iridium/Firebox I highly recommend something like that little EQ pedal for quick tone adjustments live.

[​IMG]

metallica86 and The Rocket like this.
  14. skinvoyager

skinvoyager Member

Revival Drive into a Torpedo CAB M. You can insert any pedals you want in the chain like you would in a traditional setup.

I tried EVERYTHING, and for a preamp, nothing came close to the Revival Drive. It’s expensove, but you can use it everywhere. It has different EQ toggles fornuskng direct to a cab sim (like what you’re going for), or you can use it with a traditional guitar amp, or even a power amp and cab.

It gives you two footswitchable channels and feels and sounds so much like a real amp it’s crazy.

As far as the CAB M, it’s got a ton of options. You can use built-in power amp and mic sims, or as an IR loader. And since it has presets you can do as many options as you want. And it has an XLR out too, which many units don’t have.

the.godfather, Dominik and The Rocket like this.
  15. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

REd Barchetta! Fantastic song and fantastic band...nice tribute in these sad days. Congrats, the sounds are spot on. Thank you very much for your help. I'm thinking that Iridium is great, but I'm still waiting to pull the trigger because with Iridium I should get a DI box too and I'm pretty sure my Cioks DC5 doesn't have enough power to work with it...we will see.

Gasp100 likes this.
  16. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Thanks! I will look into that!

17. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Thank you very much for your input! I'm using a Fender style amp as a pedal platform. I'm really interested in the Firebox because it's cheaper than the Iridium. How is the Firebox sound compared to Stomp, Moer or Kemper? Is it as good as the others? Thanks!

18. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Thank you very much for your help. I know that the Revival Drive is a great pedal, but I'm loving my King Of Tone and I would like to keep my rig as it is...at least I'm trying to! :)
    I will check the Torpedo CAB M (love the fact it has XLR output...)...do you think it will work with my King Of Tone? Thanks again.

19. Dominik

Dominik Member

I have a Snouse Blackbox OD2 which is similar and while it's a great low gain/boost pedal I couldn't see myself using it without a preamp that simulates the kind of tone stack that Bluesbreaker pedal circuit was designed to go into.

The CAB M is great for power amp and cab simulation after a tube preamp (Kingsley, etc.) or something with a lot of tone shaping control like the Revival Drive. That's how I'm using it.

However without a preamp I'd be looking at the Strymon Iridium.

20. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Thanks for your help!