Keeping your reading glasses from falling out of your pocket?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Mr. Kite, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Mr. Kite

Mr. Kite Member

I can't tell you how many pair of readers I've scratched by leaning over to pick something up and my glasses hit the pavement. Anybody got a solution to this old as gravity problem? I don't want to wear those old lady around the neck chains that hold on to either side of the glasses. Maybe that thing from The Jerk that Steve Martin designed?

2. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I was in the same situation.

About three years ago, I started having issues and needed reading glasses. Initially, I would buy cheap ones, and easily lost, scratched or broke them in short order.

Eventually, I went to have my eyes tested. The eye doctor tested my eyes and recommended against off the rack readers since I had a touch of astigmatism. So I bought a pair of prescription readers. The problem was, since they were expensive, I babied them, which meant I often forgot to take them with me when I left the house. Ugh.

So last October, I went back in for an updated test, and this time around I went ahead and bought a pair of no line bifocals and just wear them all the time. Now I don't have to worry about how to carry them around, and I don't find myself unable to read a menu, etc.

And quite frankly, I think I actually look better in glasses. YMMV.

Good luck!

3. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I don't have the old lady chain, but a length of nylon cord with rubber retainers on the tips... Only slightly cooler than the old lady chain, but maybe it will work for you? I got it at a sporting goods store (Academy).

4. BarkingTree

BarkingTree Member

5. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Yeah, wear it around your neck to catch crumbs and spittle.

6. Stew

Stew Member

I have the same problem and don't really have a good answer for you. If I have loose pants on I can keep them in the front pocket. I'll sometimes tuck them in my collar, lens side in with one stem out. Or I'll just push them on top of my head. The problem with that is that I can't afford to lose any more hair on my head and I always catch a hair and pull it out when I pull the glasses back down. I wonder if there is some kind of sticky fabric that could go into a shirt pocket that would keep them from sliding out?

7. sanrico

sanrico Member

I've never put my glasses in my pocket. I just carry them around when I need them, I suppose.

8. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

Simply attach a small, discreet ring in one temple tip. Purchase a fine 24k gold chain and attach one end to the Designer brand pocket protector of your choice. Attach a small jewelry hook to the other. When you prepare to place your glasses in the pocket, attack the hook to the temple tip. Dillema alleviated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]