Keith Richards live playing.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Barquentine, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

This from another forum:

I would bet the farm that Keith has help either off stage or under the stage helping him out. (And has for many years now.) Now, don’t get me wrong. Keith is my idol and the reason I picked up a guitar and played in rock bands for almost 40 years. But if you see the Stones now, there is no way what is coming out of the PA system guitar-wise is coming solely from Keith & Ronnie.

What do you think ?

fretless, yakyak and Matt Dillon like this.
  2. sonic carpenter

sonic carpenter Member

Tho
    Thought the same when i watched video of their cuba concert. I think they have offstage "accompaniment". Oh well its still the Stones. Fans wouls still pay up if they - Stones just walked around waving from the stage while the band played.

3. Nobtwiddler

Nobtwiddler Member

I'll see what I can find out?
    That said, way back when, Kiss, and Alice Cooper, both had people under the stage playing Guitar / Keys, as well as background vocals.

4. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

I don't think so when they're playing live.

But i would assume there are overdubs and embellishments added to any commercial video.

marktweedy, Doode, Coli and 1 other person like this.
  5. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

in before someone says Keef.

Madison, coldengray, asilker and 28 others like this.
  6. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

With Logic and Protools I'm not sure many bands would need to bring along extra "curtained" musicians although the Stones can certainly afford to... but no question it was not uncommon for years and years... including shadow vocalists.

As for the Stones - I would not be surprised if they were getting some help these days.

yakyak likes this.
  7. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I don’t know how they could play to track or with someone offstage. Tempos are all over the place, meandering arrangements...

The result and the amount of work it would take to pull that off doesn’t add up to my ears

8. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

just heard an interview the other day where Sharon Osborne flew Robert Mason over to Europe to stand back stage and do live backing vocals for Ozzy. Personally, I'd rather the person not be hiding. Didn't Rush have an offstage keyboard player for a while? (not really hidden, but way off to the side).

StummerJoe and yakyak like this.
  9. 27sauce

That story has shrunken a little since it happened.

When I first heard the story Mason was on the tour, shadowing Ozzy every night.

Now it was a souncheck or rehearsal, and that was it?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Misterbulbous likes this.
  10. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

yeah. I think it was a Trunk interview and I probably got tired of listening to Trunk talk about how he's friends with Ace Frehley and moved to the next video. I remember Robert saying she wanted him to sit in a guitar cabinet or something! He seemed pretty cool about it, other than Ozzy pulling the plug on the idea before they did an actual show.

Orm-D and 27sauce like this.
  11. shaun_mac

shaun_mac Member

Makes sense. A few bands over the years have done it. Queen had a guy backstage doing keys and synth when Freddie wasn't playing and they were playing their modern material for the '80s. I think U2 also tours with a fifth member as well.

12. 27sauce

Haha, no doubt.

I first heard about it from a friend during a show! ‘96, joe Holmes/Rob Trujillo era. He goes, “you know Ozzy isn’t really singing, right? There’s a guy backstage...”

Sounded like BS at the time, then I heard it over and over...

13. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

What I heard is that they have a harmonized that blends in the backstage singers voice whenever the artist sings. Like autotune, but using a real voice instead of a tone.

Mick Jagger has had a covert singer for years. I read an interview once.

I dont see how they couldn't do the same thing with guitars. No sync issue. The sound comes out whenever the artist "plays".

stelligan likes this.
  14. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon Member

He’s been getting away with poor performances for a long long while.
    Jagger doesn’t really sound good, but at least he takes his role as an entertainer seriously.
    The Stones have basically been my favorite band since I was 12, but I think Keith just doesn’t have any real work ethic. As far as Rock n Roll goes, he is as influential as Hendrix and Page etc
    But he’s been living off his legend for a long time

15. sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister Member

Has anyone actually ever been under a stage? You wouldn't put off-stage accompanists there.

Thumpalumpacus, Dale, TB72 and 8 others like this.
  16. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Any commercially released video has post production, so figuring out what was actually played at the show is impossible.

Dale, sonic carpenter and BuddyGuit like this.
  17. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

A lot of the time Blondie Chaplin is playing guitar as well. Maybe that’s whats being heard.

18. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Having supporting musicians is pretty common, and the Stones usually have them on stage with them, and they have for years.

However, having two guitars playing Keith's parts seems like it would be extremely noticeable. His playing is erratic with huge holes in it, so there's no way a second player could be in snyc.

I can only see this working if Keith is completely muted, and there is someone playing in his style that's going through the P.A. Honestly, he doesn't sound very good, so I can't see why they would hire someone to sound that bad. I'm a fan, BTW.

So, unless I'm missing the idea here, I don't see how this could be done without it being a mess and blatantly obvious.

coldengray, dez, Dale and 18 others like this.
  19. Monkeyboy23

Monkeyboy23 Member

Yeah, Snowy White played guitar offstage for Pink Floyd for many years

Thumpalumpacus, Wolfboy1 and Joe Boy like this.
  20. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

One of the benefits of playing at 100+ db levels is what it allows you to get away with. Especially in basketball & hockey arenas.

59 Restorer, Mugs and Crowder like this.