Keith Richards live playing.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Barquentine, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Dashface

Dashface Member

Both Ronnie and Keith played lots of the bass parts throughout the history of the Stones! He is an excellent bassist, it’s true!

Matt Dillon likes this.
  2. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

Brian played a few songs ? Now that I would have liked to see.

JumpinBradFlash, yakyak and michael30 like this.
  3. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

idk
    Crappy acoustics drowning anything, anyway, aside, it's never been a case for me, personally
    Small stage in a crowded club, in front of a blaring 412, is an easier place to cover up schnitzels.
    As to Keith, he's got arthritis - so that must influence his playing. To say the least. Nevertheless, imo, it's unimportant now. They sell the show, be it cheating or not, and at 75, yeah. i wish i could walk up on stage and perform in my possible 70s. Not that he ever did something to impress guitar playing crowd specifically, so if he still is capable of banging out 4-6 chords in open tuning, that's fine.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

underestimating kr is kinda silly.

larsjen, Wolfboy1 and Alchemist XP like this.
  5. tonewoody

tonewoody Member

Well duh...Keith's personal bartender and marching powder assistant are on hand 24/7....

Vintage_ likes this.
  6. Litterick

Litterick Member

I think so.

7. drewl

drewl Member

Snowy White the guy who played on Rogers solo tours?
    He the one from the Philly band The A's?

Keith is one of those people where it doesn't look like what he's playing matches his hands.
    Economy of motion like Charlie on drums.

Odd tunings also.

Alchemist XP likes this.
  8. pak1001

pak1001 Member

Correct.

9. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

EDIT: I meant MICK, not Brian. And now I get that this question was making fun of me for that. Ooooops.

#######<

Yup. If I remember right, that was the end of what was being billed as their last tour. So he played a few songs, because, well, this may be the last time. Turns out it wasn’t. But was very cool to see for my first and only Stones show. I’d have to go back to figure out the date, but it was in Newark.

Also.. funny autocorrect... John amateur = John Mayer. He was great. Was dealing with his vocal issues so he didn’t sing. Just played.

One other thing about that show... Dave’s Grohl was in front of us on line to get in the arena. True story. Just waiting like the rest of us. We made awkward small talk with him for about 15 seconds. Once we got through the gate and had our tickets scanned, he disappeared through a door off to the side. I thought maybe he’d get up and play a song. Turns out he was just there as a fan.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    JumpinBradFlash and Wolfboy1 like this.
  10. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

Wouldn't be hard to tell. Look at their hands - if what you're hearing matches that - then its real. In all of the live footage I've seen of the Stones, I've never seen a hint of Milli Vanilli. Plus- video in recent years of Richards in interviews with an acoustic guitar reveals the man knows how to play. So I disagree but can't prove it of course.

11. KeefPilchards

KeefPilchards Member

Dude, Brian died in 1969. Did you mean Bill perhaps?

12. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

Crap..... MICK. I meant MICK TAYLOR. Ooooof. My bad. He played a bunch of shows on that “final” tour in 2013, I believe.

13. KeefPilchards

KeefPilchards Member

I saw the No Filter tour in Southampton UK last summer. It was definitely 100% Keith. At times painfully piercing and loud in the mix, with his usual liberal sprinkling of howlers.
    I also play Keith in a Stones tribute, so I know the parts inside out. I had a pair of binoculars with me, and I could hear every note. There was no skulduggery that I could detect.

14. drewl

drewl Member

Now Having Mick Taylor at so many gigs the last few years could be to help beef up the sound and take some of the load off Keith and Ronnie.

15. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

I saw Keef on the ‘87 tour and am pretty sure Kane Roberts was under the stage.

Not playing guitar, but holding it up.

NAME, Dubious, ArtDecade and 2 others like this.
  16. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

On their last US tour I had third row tickets and I was paying a lot of attention to Keith and Ronnie. There is no way there was any off stage guitars. Those guys play off each other and weave parts so much. They both leave a lot of space too. It’d be way noticeable if another guitar was involved.

Plus, it’s not like they need to. They’ve got Mr. Jones, keys, and horns to fill things out. More guitars would be a mess.

jog and Wolfboy1 like this.
  17. mikefair

mikefair Member

I just listened to Every Picture Tells a Story a few days ago. Good golly! What a masterpiece. Ronnie Wood, the new guy in the Stones is all over that record.

Bluedano1 likes this.
  18. ahhlou

ahhlou Member

The two times I attended a Rolling Stones concert I watched Ronnie and Kieth closely by default (guitar player curse).

I am satisfied that what I saw matched what I heard, warts and all...

19. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

The guy was ( is) just a natural when it came to phrasing taste and tone. It always seemed just easy for this to come out in his playing.

20. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

I always liked this one from Ronnie