Keith Richards live playing.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Barquentine, Jan 10, 2019.

1. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

What a great snapshot of our brave new fact free world.

I heard X. So, true.

Rush never had keys offstage. The first time anyone joined them was the string section on Clockwork tour. I couldn’t let that sht slide.

Pathetic.

Dashface, ethomas1013 and Wolfboy1 like this.
  2. telewired

telewired Supporting Member

The brother of a good friend back east used to play keys and vocals under the stage for EVH and also Whitney Houston.. The brother started a little known band by the name of Night Ranger.

3. maplebaby

maplebaby Member

many of you have most likely seen this, i just found it and found it inspiring.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 12:14 PM
  4. JK1965

JK1965 Member

I saw them in Pittsburgh 2015. They were great! The playing was killer all night and it was them playing without a doubt. They were much better than they were back in 81 and by a long shot. The energy was on another level.

To those who view the Stones as not technical players and all that, its true, but that is who they are. They couldn't care less about playing perfectly. In fact that would ruin the whole flavor and vibe of the show. Some mention gaps in playing? That is an integral part of what they do. They leave space and allow silence in spots. They play a little behind or ahead of the beat at times. This is why its not nearly as easy to play the stuff live and capture it as it seems on the surface. There is a certain magic that happens and some nights are better than others of course. But anyone going to see the Stones expecting virtuosity and slamming them when they don't get that, doesn't get it.

They are master performers and players that do what they do better than anyone else in the world.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 3:29 PM
  5. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

Am I the only one that read this in a Paul Harvey’s voice?

cwf, drpeacock, Bluedano1 and 2 others like this.
  6. SixStringAxis

SixStringAxis Member

I think the stones have just figured out a schedule that works great for them.. they play huge stadiums and usually only play once a week. So when its time to go they are ready and play great. Plus they are sober as far as we know. When I saw them a couple years ago in Ohio it was incredible.

There always seems to be this stigma that Keith cant actually play with the best of them. I think it comes from them having so many great guitarists around the band. I had always heard Ry Cooder or Mick Taylor played the intro to Cant Hear Me Knocking.. its stuff like that which creates the stigma. Someone in another thread said it was actually Keith.

JK1965 likes this.
  7. beanbass

beanbass Member

This kind of thing has been going on for years, even with the best of them:

8. slooky

slooky Member

Watching them at the super bowl a few years back, i wouldn't have thought they had anybody helping them out. They were just plain awful.
    Probably would have been a plus if they did though!

yakyak likes this.
  9. Dashface

Dashface Member

Yes, he still toured with Roger up until very recently - he joined the Floyd during the recording of Animals (and can in fact be heard playing lead on the 8 track version of Pigs on The Wing) and worked with the various members for almost forty years! He was also in Thin Lizzy and has many quite excellent solo albums. He’s an English gent - not from Philly :)

As for the whole Keith question here, I think it’s obvious nobody is doubling him.

10. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I'm watching the Stones video. I'm impressed. Its the Stones! Glad they are still playing.. it sounds live to me. Sure there are a few gaffs in KR's playing. I hope to be playing with 1/2 of his energy when I'm 70+.

11. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

Queen keyboard player Spike Edney on stage in the 80's to give synth for later songs in the catalog and to give Freddie more freedom to roam around. Spike also played on Hammer to Fall on the 86 tour.

This is all. Nobody under the stage. Ever.

shaun_mac likes this.
  12. shaun_mac

shaun_mac Member

awesome thanks

13. Omega

Omega Member

Spot freaking on.

Toby Krebs, maplebaby and JK1965 like this.
  14. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

Post production on concert videos is very common. One of the more disappointing examples is the Peter Gabriel Secret World dvd. Obvious overdubs and vocal repairs are noticeable throughout the concert. It sounds great but it's not a true representation of the live concert.

15. drewl

drewl Member

Right, but that long he's been with Floyd?
    Wow.
    I guess they needed him for touring purposes?

back in the 80's comeback tours, Aerosmith had a keyboard player off to the side who did a lot of vocals during the show.

Dashface likes this.
  16. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

There are many bands who still use real people playing and singing out of sight.
    The chief reason is the playing styles of the bands are not rigid - so they need
    people who can react to the changes that occur from night to night. Especially
    Lead singers. Also since the advent of YouTube mania - where all sorts of performances
    are posted - sync mistakes between recorded playback and live people become
    very obvious and bands get the mickey taken out on them.

Also - take Paul McCartney these days - although he's a genetic miracle - his
    voice has been aging out for about 10 years now. He has all sorts of support
    going on. The thing is - who cares? The general public loves to believe
    big stars are immortal. And since it's entertainment - why not give them
    what they want?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 2:03 PM
    Crowder likes this.
  17. motokev

motokev Member

Keith knows the music purty good by now don't ya think. Yeah, he's 75 and his fingers and memory have declined some. But, the guitar music isn't that difficult. So, I vote no backup guitarist.

18. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Well...they call it show business for a reason. :)

19. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

well no duh they couldn't fit all the extra guys under that moveable stage
    :D