Keith Urban Tone from Mid-2000s

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by IndyMead, Jan 26, 2015.

1. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

If you fast forward to about the 5min mark of this video:
    http://youtu.be/vAO1aX7ve3w?t=5m

That's pretty much THE tone that made me want to start playing guitar. A couple questions for you guys.

1) Anyone have any insight into his rig at the time? There are several rig rundowns on youtube but this video pre-dates them all by about 5 years.
    2) I have a strat and tele, a hot rod deville, a TS808, soul food, keeley bd-2, lovepedal superlead, and a wampler FAE. I have a few settings that can get me in the ball park of this tone but wanted to know if you guys have any ideas to better utilize my current setup for this type of tone.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  2. buzzp

buzzp Member

Can't see the video

3. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

Just fixed the link hopefully...

4. cfo_deebiedaddy

cfo_deebiedaddy Member

For me, it was the sound of the guitars on Somebody like you that blew me away. Before that, it was the sound on Clutterbilly, although I didn't know who KU was at that point! But let's face it, Keith Urban's farts are probably more musical than my playing.

5. gillibi

gillibi Member

Around the time of Golden Road it was a Plexi Marshall, couple Fulldrive 2s, and a Line 6 Echo Pro. He then started changing out the drives...sometimes it was 2 Klons, 2 ODR-1s, Sobbat stuff, etc.

6. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Try running the Soul Food (as a cleanish boost) into gained up TS808. You'll get the sustain and creamer 808 tone and the SF will tighten it up some and push the 808 harder. Mostly KU's leads are bridge pickups - teles or P90 Les Pauls. I'm a fan of his, that mid-80s era had some of his best material, imho. "Stupid Boy" just flat out SMOKES live.

Matt117 likes this.
  7. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Eh he is using a capo so he obviously isn't that talented as a player.

Hahahahhaa kidding of course. He is a phenom. And that tone is awesome. Which I had insight to give you.

Lot of touch taste and feel no matter what amp or pedals. But the above advice is pretty good.
    An amp with dynamics is a good place to start. Not that yours doesn't have it just set it up for controllable volume knob adjustment.

8. Lance

Lance Member

I want to say he was playing through two Bogner Shivas back then. That's what he played on the Live 8 video, and that was 2005.

9. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

Great thanks for the help guys. I've messed around with the Soul Food into TS808 and get some really killer sounds. Actually last night I just played my bridge pickup on the strat with the Lovepedal Superlead with gain at about 3:00. For a bedroom volume...it honeslty wasn't that far off for his outro solo lead tones. I'm assuming his amps are cranked to the max or at least close to the max so I've got to get that with pedals somehow.

In the clip above, do you think he's running any compression before the drive pedals? Or is that all just natural compression that I hear?

10. c_mac

c_mac Member

I think that his use of an EMG bridge pickup during that era can't be overlooked.

11. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Great tone. I wonder which Tele that was...I half expected it to be a '62 Custom, but it's not double bound.

12. JohnK24

The 40th Anniversary model

13. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Sweet! Thanks for filling me in. Now...where can I get one :beer

14. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

I'm pretty sure they only made 300...good luck finding one! Also, from what I've seen, the one he's playing in the clip above was ruined in the Nashville flood and he doesn't play it anymore.

15. JohnK24

16. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

His old sound kinda sounds like his tone knob is rolled back just a hair, like what Vince Gill does. I don't know if that's a guitar or amp thing in KU's case. It's got more presence now, more bite.

17. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

yep. i used to gig with an EMG loaded single pickup Tele into a comp and stereo delay into 2 original Peavey Classic 50 212 (drive channel about halfway up, gives that killer slight crunch that cleans up nicely with volume knob, in stereo and got pretty darn close to the Golden Road tone, which is by far my all time favorite of his. i can't stand the uber-gloss/pop production of his last few records.

Golden Road and Go On are his very best records IMHO.

18. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

I read somewhere that he was actually using a strat bridge EMG. Any know if that's true or not?

And yes I agree, Golden Rode was his best work. One of my favorite albums ever.

19. Mark Paterson

Mark Paterson Member

"i can't stand the uber-gloss/pop production of his last few records."

I'm with you on that! But live.. he's got tone for days. His shows are some of the best I've ever saw.

20. K.E.P.

K.E.P. Member

I saw him in 2005 or 2006 and he was playing this guitar though a few Bad Cats and a Bogner head of some kind.