• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Keith Urban: Why Digital Amps Are Like “dating A Mannequin”

Mark Al

Ouch, that's a bit harsh :)

But there’s nothing like the feeling of your guitar hitting the back of your shins. The way a guitar reacts with an amplifier… there is no substitute for the harmonic things that happen because of that resonating relationship.

“And it’s a trade-off, too, because do you want consistency? Because that’s not going to be consistent – amps are just not gonna be! But in the end, it was worth it for me. Because while it was consistent, I would say it’s like saying that a mannequin is consistent…that might be true, but you don’t want to date a mannequin!”

https://guitar.com/features/interviews/keith-urban-dumbles-unsung-guitar-heroes-digital-amps/

Mark Al

Week1: Sh**t, the digital modeling is fu***king awesome, it has come a long way.
Week2: I am really enjoying it, it's so much more practical than my heavy tube combos.
Week3: I am gigging with it, it's awesome to not have to carry my heavy tube combo.
Week4: It's so freaking consistent from gig to gig.
Week10: Dust off the tube combos, I think I am ready to sell these now. Turn it on, holy r#$%$, it's $#@king fire and fury, I miss this, damn!
Week11: Back to gig with tube combo, not touching those lifeless modelers anymore.
Week20: turn on the modeler, hum, actually they are pretty decent compared to the tube combos.
Week21: I think they are decent enough for gigging... OK, I am giging with them again.

People often swing and wander between the two extremes, until he/she finally found the right place for each of their own. Where are you right now during this journey? :)

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Kind of like being married but wishing your wife would turn into a mannequin sometimes?

Week1: Sh**t, the digital modeling is fu***king awesome, it has come a long way.
Week2: I am really enjoying it, it's so much more practical than my heavy tube combos.
Week3: I am gigging with it, it's awesome to not have to carry my heavy tube combo.
Week4: It's so freaking consistent from gig to gig.
Week10: Dust off the tube combos, I think I am ready to sell these now. Turn it on, holy r#$%$, it's $#@king fire and fury, I miss this, damn!
Week11: Back to gig with tube combo, not touching those lifeless modelers anymore.
Week20: turn on the modeler, hum, actually they are pretty decent compared to the tube combos.
Week21: I think they are decent enough for gigging... OK, I am giging with them again.

People often swing and wander between the two extremes, until he/she finally found the right place for each of their own. Where are you right now during this journey? :)

JB Eckl

Where are you right now during this journey? :)
Wherever the inspiration is at the moment.

Straight into a one-channel amp, nothing but a cable and some onboard reverb: YES

Using the pedalboards and amp switching and expression pedals and 50-100 watts: YES

Using Helix as a router/controller for above overkill setup: YES

Micing a 2x12 closed back or 1x12 open back cabinet: YES

Running tube amp heads through OX: YES

Coming up with complex layered tones in Helix that would be totally unpractical with a conventional rig: YES

Random pedals and tangled cables everywhere, looking for interesting combinations: YES

Creating tones with S-Gear, Helix Native, AmpliTube etc, changing and automating them all the way through mixdown: YES

All of the above in the SAME SONG: HELL YES

DanSimon

He'd have to be talking about studios and smaller gigs. By the time his amp is miced, sent to the board, returned thru the foldback and out to the stadium, its no longer analog.
Yep agreed. But what is foldback? any relation to the foldback settings on the Source Audio Multiwave Dist. ?

Trending Topics