Kemper - 1964 Blackface Bassman Clip

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Gasp100, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

My daughter is home sick today so I have a little chance to do more testing as I work from home - although she needs a diaper change...
    :peenut

I did a lot of cleaning of profiles last night, so now my goal is really trying to dig in deeper. I moved the XLR's so I have KPA straight into Adam A5's and man, what a difference! In the room, here, it sounds incredible. Recorded into audio interface analog out / in some gets lost in translation. A lot has to do with gain staging, suboptimal pre's, conversion, but it's "ok". So, if you were in the room with me you could tell that this profile (user profile from Kemper sharing site) brought just a touch of "room" with it in the profile. Maybe this is accounting for some of the experiences we Kemper players are describing, even through FRFR. I actually dialed most of the tweaks BACK to 12 oclock after hearing this direct into my nearfields. I can't even imagine how good this will sound into FRFR with 12" driver.
    Now, it's completely dry AND there is some puff/woofiness going on and a little scratchiness in the high end, especially when hitting chords hard. But in the room, this sounds pretty damn close to a nice Blackface Bassman imho. And for recording, it's close enough. Keep in mind, no verb, no EQ, etc... Let me know what you think (good or bad)

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/gasp100/kemper-1964-bassman[/SOUNDCLOUD]

FLAC
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53671808/1964-Bassman.flac

2. The Walrus

The Walrus Member

3. fakeox

fakeox Member

Really nice Gasp! The last few seconds esp sound so good!

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Sounds great and thanks for the flac version; comparing the mp3 to the flac is night and day.

5. mix2much

mix2much Member

I think it sounds excellent. Great clip!

6. SBRocket

SBRocket Gold Supporting Member

Nice, great playing...

7. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

8. Earl Mobile

Earl Mobile Member

is that my amp (profile)?

cheers,
    toneclone

9. Gasp100

The author is listed as "Daniel Pee" with a date of 2-15-2012. Is that you?

10. Earl Mobile

Earl Mobile Member

yep! in fact i bought the amp because of the stock KPA profile "blackface bass dimed". i needed that amp. too bad i can't "dime" my amp in my room at the moment...

11. Gasp100

Nice... well, excellent profile and I thank you! Oh yes, I'm also going to be working on your Triple Recto + Mesa 4x12 as well. Another great starting point for me!

12. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

sounds fantastic Greg....thinking....lol

13. Willowdale

Willowdale Supporting Member

Great tones!! Crazy things are happening in this modeling/profiling world, and they are costing me money, but i'm not complaining.

Tube amp companies better start worrying because their tones are now being stolen at a level of realism that will satisfy most people, even tube snobs.

14. Sherman90

Sherman90 Member

Odd. I find the tone remarkably unengaging and flat.

Honky; fizzly overdrive; poor highs; and lacking the usual low end muscle and top end sparkle associated with a blackface. Also two-dimensional without any harmonic richness.

No judgment on the Kemper. I used to own an Axe-FX and admire profiling/simulation. I just dislike this tone.

15. Gasp100

Can you provide any clips of a Blackface Bassman, in the "room", recorded well with no external EQ, reverb, FX, in a solo setting that I could compare too? If so that would be incredibly helpful.
    Totally cool if you don't like the tone, just want to adjust my frame of reference if possible.

16. colluluigi

colluluigi Member

I think you should wash your ears my friend :omg

17. Earl Mobile

Earl Mobile Member

i could make a recording of the real amp and the profile if someone if interested...

18. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

By coincidence a Blackface Bassman with a 2x12 was my first "real" amp bought new sometime around 1967 so I have a lot of affection for that amp.

The FLAC version sounded significantly better so I'm sure your comments about it sounding better in the room are true.

I thought the clean tones sounded great, full and chimey. No lack of bottom end that was apparent in many other clips. The KPA seems to be very capable of reproducing accurately the tones created by the original amp at whatever settings were chosen at the time of profiling.

As you noted, when you hit the chords hard it wasn't really happy but sounded much better in the FLAC version and the harshness probably would have been unnoticeable during ensemble playing.

I wouldn't hesitate to use that profile for playing clean, both the tone and playing were very nice.

Well done and thanks for posting it. :aok

I've got to say that I disagree with this. Gasp noted the problem when striking a chord hard but the rest of your post neither reflected what I heard nor the relationship between the clip and the tone of an actual blackface Bassman. I thought the clip had muscle, chime, sparkle, and was not honky at all if you mean an over accentuated midrange.

It sounded really good to me and I'm fairly critical...

With that said, if you only listened to the Soundcloud version and not the FLAC one you missed much of the quality of the tone. I was not nearly as enamored with the Soundcloud clip which did sound more two dimensional, but that's no fault of the KPA.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  19. Gasp100

Well, you do bring up a good point. I need to spend more time with the profile (personally I don't think there is much more I can do to tweak it, possibly bring down the gain a bit - can't remember my setting?) but I was trying to bring out some of the rude breakup that I remember from pushing a BF amp when you dig in a hit the strings very hard. There IS some slightly detectable "hash" happening in the high end on some clean-ish amps that are pushed hard on the Kemper. I recognized this on many clips when I first heard them and I am hearing just a slight hint of it on some of my own rigs as well. It is more prevalent on the high strings, being hit hard, especially when playing on the higher frets. To me it's miniscule enough and if it does end up bothering me that much I will move to another profile or dial back any additional gain I have added using the KPA controls. I think technically the profile would have gain set at noon so I should even be able to subtract some gain from the original profile, but this might only work on profiles that were created as a "distorted sense" setting.
    Bottom line, it's not 100% and there are some detectable traits that come out in some profiles more than others. But, I think it's pretty freaking close (and useable) and that is all I care about. I may try to tweak this particular profile to get more squeaky clean and build a rig around that mindset.
    As more clips come out and more people use the KPA the reviews will become more balanced. For example, a couple of guys on the Kemper forum are complaining about latency. One person measures it around 5ms round trip. I think I agree with that, maybe a tad less. That can affect feel and experience for some people and for some people it's just too much. For some people anything BUT a real amp feel is too much. I'm pretty easy in this regard after playing modelers for so long, even dealing with software modelers that have latency approaching ~10ms round trip. I think the II has the KPA beat in this regard; the response is super quick with the II, maybe even too quick for some? I dunno, I'm ok with it personally but I won't pretend there isn't latency at all or that it can't possibly matter to some people.