Kemper Amp Profiling - Assist Needed

Jester

I'm new to the whole Kemper world and would like to get rolling with some amp profiling. I've never done any recording, so this is a new world to me. Here are the questions I have:

• Which mid level (price wise) mic do you recommend?
  • Do mic cables (quality) make a difference, if so which ones should I consider?
  • Do I need a microphone preamp?
  • Does the room quality make a difference, or can you profile an amp in a non-studio space?
  • Any tips and tricks I should be utilizing as I profile an amp with the Kemper?

Viabcroce

Hey Jester,
each mic imparts its specific sound signature to recording\profiling, so this is not different from any amp mic'ing. Shure is a classic, but we have seen any kind of mic'ing, and also multiple mic'ing.

Any good-quality cable will do the job.

You don't need a pre, unless your mic's sensitivity is so low that the signal is weak (never experience this so far).
OTOH, a pre will impart its signature too, so it's a matter of what you want your profiles to sound like.

For a close-mic'ed profiling the room is basically irrelevant, unless one of its non-linearities hit the mic a big deal.

I'd advise you to read Kemper's Profiling Guide (as a df, from their site) and the profiling-related tricks&tips you'll be able to find in the online wikpa.

Have fun! :)

trazan

• Which mid level (price wise) mic do you recommend?
  • An SM57 works fine, as it has done for decades. At least if you don't have a mic preamp (+48v), you need a dynamic mic.
  • Do mic cables (quality) make a difference, if so which ones should I consider?
  • Nah, unless it's ****** quality/faulty.
  • Do I need a microphone preamp?
  • You can connect the mic straight into the Kemper, unless you want to use a condenser mic. However, you may want to record the guitar to hear the results of your mic placement etc before you profile...(unless you're fine just keepin' on profiling until you're satisfied :)) and in that case you'd need a preamp.
  • Does the room quality make a difference, or can you profile an amp in a non-studio space?
  • Not if you close mic. Reflections will be too weak to have any impact.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom