Kemper and PCM advice

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by blueprint, Dec 13, 2019.

1. blueprint

blueprint Member

Hi all,
    I play guitar in a pop rock cover band, using a kemper direct into foth.
    I'm really happy with the kemper, and I've gone deep into it, but I still miss some of the 80's tones,
    such as deep chorus/dimension D, Landau tones and some kind of reverbs/delays too.
    So, I think to pair it with a PCM 80 .
    Some questions about this:
    -Is it a good idea? Alternative woud be a H9, or maybe another piece of gear such as others Lexicons more guitar oriented.
    -Would you use the send-return of the kemper to connect the PCM ?
    -Or do I need a mixer? Or maybe connect them using digital link, and internal PCM wet/dry balance?
    Every suggestion welcome! :)

2. ba_hill

ba_hill Supporting Member

Hi,

You won't need a mixer. The Kemper has a mix control on its effects loop.

If you looking for '80s style chorus, though, you might like this. He's only using Kemper's built in effects.

dsmc80 likes this.
  3. 19inchPleasure

19inchPleasure Member

Hi Blueprint,

I've been using a kemper with a PCM81 for years and love it ! It greatly surpasses the kemper in effects indeed.

You wouldn't need a mixer if it's just the PCM. I run practically everything on the PCM in paralel, 100% wett on the unit. But indeed you could set that per program.

Ps: try and get the 81 instead of the 80 :)

ctreitzell likes this.
  4. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Yep, with a Dual FX card if you can find it. PitchFX on the PCM81 are really good and you'd need a Pitch FX card for the 80 if you wanted them... and those cards are going for phat coin. I have seen many PCM80 and 81 for sale online in France and usually better (lower) prices than elsewhere in the world. Seems there are quite a few Dutch and Belgian sources as well...you just gotta get trawling on the net to find the "deals"...that said, I bought my PCM81 from a vendor in Hong Kong and it was expensive (altho my 81 is in pristine condition). I just picked up a beater PCM80 from London for £400 for a price comparison...my 81 (with DualFX card) came in at around €1000 including shipping and import duty

5. blueprint

blueprint Member

I've finaly bought a very nice PCM80 for 350€ in Belgium. No memory card though, and finding one at a good price is difficult even here (I'm in France)!

6. jdh

jdh Member

Literally thousands of people have been trying to cop the Landau chorus/big rack tones. Same could be said for Holdsworth sounds. If you can do this you can easily make several million dollars selling the secret. Not to discourage or disrespect, it's just a seriously difficult task. Don't give up the faith brother.

blueprint likes this.
  7. sev_reed

sev_reed Member

Man, I don't mean to be harsh, but isn't the Kemper a digital modeler? The PCM is the top shelf industry standard for reverb. The big boys like Landau would use the PCM in a WDW or WD scenario so that their tube amp signal remained pure. But if your entire signal is 0's and 1's to begin with, it seems like overkill. If you can get a cheap PCM, then give it a shot. But it seems a bit like putting caviar on a Big Mac.

8. 19inchPleasure

19inchPleasure Member

Hi Sev Reed,

I have both and really enjoy the Kemper as far as the tone and consistency of tone. And of course the flexibility in tone. Yes a tube amp is a bit of a different thing, especially when directly driving a cab. It does give more immediacy and some power, but on the other hand there are songs/riffs I feel more comfortable playing on a kemper, just as different guitars have different flavors.

But more specifically when it comes to heavenly processed tone like Landau's 80ies rack: those were done post-preamp, or often miked up and then processed. Hence all the DBX compressors to tame it (and that is not the caviar of compressors is it?) And not all was done WDW, but often full-wett. The stuff we listen to and like on the records is not WDW in the room anyway. The kemper is a very convenient vessel for that first stage as it abolishes a lot of hassle. And don't underestimate than the processing is heaaavy! Really makes a lot of the 'tone' disappear. (No caviar... but big juicy, fatty sauce... )

I think there is a difference between wanting to BE in the exact situation/feel as one of those guys, hearing/feeling what they felt, or wanting to be able to have a tone out of the monitors which is very similar to the tone on those great records.

ScottR and blueprint like this.