Kemper and single coil hum

Ape Factory

Anyone notice there's not a whole lot of hum coming from a Kemper through FRFR speakers when using single coil guitars? Maybe I'm just not playing loud enough.

I'm in the midst of two partscaster builds and noticed the first just doesn't have much hum and neither does my tele. Both use Toneshapers for electronics and neither is shielded. Come to think of it, same thing with my EJ strat which has the stock Fender wiring. The hum is there but it's just not intrusive at all. And yes, I've used on gain profiles without a noise gate.

I have a ton of copper tape sitting around but haven't seen the need. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing. I was thinking of shielding the strats anyway but if I don't need to, what's the point, right?

Viabcroce

Hey Ape Factory, check the Noise Gate settings on your Profiler: chances are there's some in most rigs.

A device can't act on the hum collected by an electric coil, can just reduce how much of it you hear. So my advise would be to properly shield/ground your PUs/guitars, you'll most probably use them on a number of different rigs in the years! :)

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
Ironically I get more noise from hi gain humbuckers on the KPA, less with SC.

Doesn't make sense. Maybe my guitar isn't grounded.

Ape Factory

Hey Ape Factory, check the Noise Gate settings on your Profiler: chances are there's some in most rigs.

A device can't act on the hum collected by an electric coil, can just reduce how much of it you hear. So my advise would be to properly shield/ground your PUs/guitars, you'll most probably use them on a number of different rigs in the years! :)
Yeah I did think about future use too. Wondering if the Toneshapers electronics help in the hum dept. Anyway, guess I'll go ahead and take the time to shield these puppies!

Thanks for the input guys.

All my humbucker guitars are fairly low output. I don't think I have anything over 8.5K. My Rewinds are even unpotted. Then again, I'm not blasting things as I want to stay friendly with the neighbors.

Hum in single coils is generated by the power transformer's magnetic field. In a tube amp with its large power demand, this magnetic field is pretty big. Other devices' transformers also generate a magnetic fields that can be picked up as well.

The second part of the hum problem is the fact that each stage of an amp picks up hum and amplifies it.

In the Kemper (and other modelers), the power supply is likely a switched-mode type, so there's no big transformer to create a large magnetic field. Couple that with the fact that digital modelers essentially use a mask (if the input sounds like this, the output should sound like this) to create the output rather than using amplification. Therefore, you'd expect the Kemper to have much less noise with single coils as you describe.

Still, if you have the time and skill, shield the guitars, it makes a huge difference if done correctly! I'd expect near zero hum when you are done.

Trending Topics