Kemper and what FRFR?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Webfoot, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

I am hoping all the sound clips and vids of the Kemper sounds as good through a FRFR. Does it? As real as an amp in the room... not a mic'ed amp?

So what FRFR is top of the line, can use as on an on stage monitor with a very loud drummer but whisper quiet for studio. I thought the QSC K10 was the top runner but heard it has a noisy fan.

2. rolandvdh

rolandvdh Member

I'm using 2 X K12's. You can hear the fans at low volume but that's at a volume a good guitar amp would't sound good IMHO. I've used the KPA with 2 K12 5 times at rehearsel and 1 time on stage and I like it very very much. I like it even more than my tube amp. We have a very loud drummer, bass player and keyboardplayer (he also uses 2 K12's) and with both K12 volume at 12.00 they're loud enough.

See:
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=3445

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Good question. In testing the Kemper, my interest has definitely started to lean towards FRFR again. I'm wondering if Kemper through the Atomic FR (straight cab) would work well. I tried that with the AxeFX Standard, it was good but not great. I really feel like there is "something" with the Kemper cabs or marriage of amp/cab that is pushing closer to "in the room" tone through FRFR (in my case nearfields). It is NOT totally "in the room, in front of your face" but I can say that the more I crank my monitors the better the tone gets. And this is using little Adam A5's... I'd venture to say something with a 12" driver will rock.
    The reason the Atomic FR is attractive again is because the KPA would sit nicely on top. Using a Wedge might be a PITA, I'm wondering where I would put the KPA? It's things like this that keep me up at night :(

4. thisHEREgiraffe

thisHEREgiraffe Member

It's things like this that make me wish the KPA had a rackmount version. :huh

5. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

QSC K12, K10 or even K8 work. I have all of them. Depends on the volume you need. A good idea is to go from the Kemper's monitor output into a tube compressor (cheap ART is OK) and then into one of the QSC FRFRs. Best of both worlds.
    Rene

6. rcl

rcl Member

I have a K12 and K8 for the axe. Both are solid choices, depending on what space you are going to play in, how you are going to use it, and how much you want to carry!

I recently got an RCF that, for me, kicks butt. The entire design AND sound of it far exceeds what the K12 did for me. I use it as a monitor pointing at my face so I know what the house is hearing. Seems more full than the K12, maybe a little more thump. I haven't tried the unit with the 11R or HD500 yet, but I hope to this weekend. But from a generic modeller/guitar scenario, QSC is a lot of bang for the buck. The RCF-10 I got was nearly double the price. Worth it to me, YMMV

7. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

Jet City has a full range coming out soon called DP700 or 700 DP. Can't remember which. It's shaped like a 4x12" but it is a full range powered PA. $899 MAP. info doesn't appear to be readily available. Saw it at the show though and wrote it up for our Spring catalog.