• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Kemper as an Effects processor

LennyD

Hey guys,

I recently bought an awesome tube amp, a Carr Mercury V. It has an Input and a Line Out for recording. No FX Loop. (Im not even sure if thats relevant,) Im a novice with all of this - Thats why I need to rely on you awesome folks haha.)

Anyway.. I was starting to think maybe I should get some pedals for my tube amp... The usual Gearhead route.

But then I thought to myself why not use the Kemper as an Effects processor, basically take the whole stack out so Ill use my Tube amp and Cab but also throw on the Effects I want to play with. I dont have an expression pedal though.
Would that be doable? Is it even worth it or would it sound like ****?

How do I even do this?
Guitar in Kemper
Select the Effects I want
Disable the whole stack
And throw on MOD and FX Loop
Can I also use Delay?
And what Kemper output would I use? Main Output with Master Stereo? Or Monitor Output with Master Mono?

How would I go about it in the Kemper settings?

If you have any resources for me to read I would be happy about any link or any other help.

I wouldn't use a Kemper just for the effects. If I was going to go the Kemper route, I'd use it to profile the Carr, then use the Kemper with some kind of neutral amplification.

Without a loop, some FX, like delay and reverb could sound pretty weird, especially if you use drive/distortion.

Alternatively, you could run the Kemper into the front of your Carr with a clean setting, although it would color the sound a bit - you might need to use patches with no speaker modeling.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Free bump, I'm sure someone has done this. I would start small, just get a good distortion, light delay and mild reverb going. As long as you're not using a ton of gain, this will be fine going into the front end of your amp.

Yam the BOMB

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a Kemper and I prefer to not even use the built in effects with it. Real pedals just sound better.
your Carr has good Reverb. Just buy a good drive pedal and Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay and you are good to go.

themightyjay

I’ve tried this with my Kemper rack. I actually love the sound of the Kemper delays and reverbs but it doesn’t work well as an effects processor.

I found it pretty noisy in front of an amp and it’s also difficult to get the levels correct.

Definitely go for a HX Effects over your Kemper

Ejay

Although I’m a big fan of Kemper effects…best in the bizz imo…considering your novice status….seems like a big investment to get your feet wet.

If your not aiming at modeled amps/direct signal…how about a boss ms3? Decent quality effects, affordable, comes with 3 pedal loops, switches amps. Great bread and butter unit.

If you get overdrive from your amp…forget about putting reverb/delay in front of it. It has been done…but it doesn’t get you bread and butter sounds.

multieffect / modeler route…in my mind…is best taken with an amp that has a loop. If you are set on your current amp…consider having a tech add a loop. I’m most cases a 150,- job, best investment you can do. A cheap modeler in a loop/4cm will give you more then the most expensive modeler into the front of an amp.

dronerstone

How's the clean headroom on the Carr?
Sufficient headroom and a versatile tone stack should make for a good platform amp.

fretnoise

Sounds like you have the Mercury V and the Kemper already, true? If not, ignore me ...

Wonder if you can just disable the AMPLIFIER and CAB stack, then use the effects. Connect MONITOR OUT, mono, from Kemper to Carr. Might need to adjust the output signal. If you already have the Kemper, I'd rather play with this for a bit than listen to people trying to talk you out of it :)

Using the Carr as a clean platform amp seems to be a waste, IMO. You want to use the Carr's distortion, that's why you've spent the money on it, right?

cmstrat

If your not aiming at modeled amps/direct signal…how about a boss ms3?
I was considering a Boss ms3 myself. It uses effects from the GT 100, I am wondering if there was any upgrade in the effects department with the GT 1000?

Ejay

I was considering a Boss ms3 myself. It uses effects from the GT 100, I am wondering if there was any upgrade in the effects department with the GT 1000?
If I’m correct the GT comes with more posh verb algorithms…which I think I appreciate…but never had them side by side.
I was always able to get what I needed from the ms3, compressors, drives and time effects are all very good quality, which I’d prefer over anything out there but kemper and fractal.

cmstrat

Thanks
If I’m correct the GT comes with more posh verb algorithms…which I think I appreciate…but never had them side by side.
I was always able to get what I needed from the ms3, compressors, drives and time effects are all very good quality, which I’d prefer over anything out there but kemper and fractal.

guitarrob

I am a big fan of the Kemper Stage, but it would not be my first choice for effects only. As others have pointed out, and in my opinion, its biggest strength by far is the amp profiling capability and the availability of many great profiles.

As a package, I think the Kemper works just fine as an all in one, but for effects only, I agree that the HX effects or maybe even the Quad Cortex would be preferable because with the QC, you can capture all of your favorite drives and distortions and the reverbs and delays are at least on par with Kemper.

I also really like the Boss MS-3 but since it does not allow for reverb and delay trails, when I use mine, I also use an additional delay and reverb.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom